Crossover capacitor question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I'm currently upgrading certain components in the crossover of my Manger 109 speakers. The speaker is a two-way design. The crossover includes three electrolytics: a 220uF lytic in series with an inductor in parallel with the Manger driver, a 267uF lytic in parallel with the bass driver, and a 1000uF lytic in series with an inductor in parallel with the bass driver. Can I remove these capacitors? What function do they perform? Are they DC-block caps, or do they block frequencies below, say, 10 or 15Hz? Appreciate any advice.

The 220uF electrolyt (parallel to the Manger) is probably used (in conjunction with L1 and R1) to smooth out the impedance at the resonance frequency. I would not upgrade this electrolyt, maybe bypass it was a 4,7 uF MKP. You won't gain much with it.

The 267uF electrolyt is used in the 18db/oct lowpass, you could replace the 47uF with an MKT (or MKP)

C3, C4, C5 probably function as a notch filter in conjunction with L3. You could add a bypass MKP, but you won't gain much with this either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.