Crossover capacitor question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2004, 04:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover capacitor question

Hi. I'm currently upgrading certain components in the crossover of my Manger 109 speakers. The speaker is a two-way design. The crossover includes three electrolytics: a 220uF lytic in series with an inductor in parallel with the Manger driver, a 267uF lytic in parallel with the bass driver, and a 1000uF lytic in series with an inductor in parallel with the bass driver. Can I remove these capacitors? What function do they perform? Are they DC-block caps, or do they block frequencies below, say, 10 or 15Hz? Appreciate any advice.
Old 30th December 2004, 04:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

BTW, a schematic of the crossover can be found here.
Old 30th December 2004, 12:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The 220uF electrolyt (parallel to the Manger) is probably used (in conjunction with L1 and R1) to smooth out the impedance at the resonance frequency. I would not upgrade this electrolyt, maybe bypass it was a 4,7 uF MKP. You won't gain much with it.

The 267uF electrolyt is used in the 18db/oct lowpass, you could replace the 47uF with an MKT (or MKP)

C3, C4, C5 probably function as a notch filter in conjunction with L3. You could add a bypass MKP, but you won't gain much with this either.
Old 30th December 2004, 04:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bombardon!

Hide this!Advertise here!