How much polyfill?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought 2 bags of polyfill from Jo-Anns for $3.99 each for a 16oz bag. It's in a roll so it should make gluing/stapling it easier. This is going in my line arrays and I'm not sure how much I should start out with for testing. They have 2 compartments with 5 Dayton RS5 drivers in each. Each compartment is 0.8 cubic feet, tuned to 65hz with a 2.875" port. The compartments are 5.5" wide, 11" deep and 27" tall. I'm thinking of a thick layer on the back wall with a thin layer on the sides, top and bottom. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I should probably add I'm doing this to kill the internal waves in the cabinet, not to trick the box into thinking it's bigger. Would I be better off using some sort of foam on the side walls, or as I have read in other threads, the roofing material they sell at hardware stores?

Thanks!

I'd start off with about 6 oz in each compartment spread equally around the box. I leave the back or front temporarily removeable and just clamp back into position with wood clamps/duct tape until both the stuffing density and port tuning sound right.

I adjust both to taste with music and test tones playing. The woofer suspension takes a day or two to loosen up, so don't do anything permanent until then. Pump music or low frequency tones through them all day/night first.

Experiment, too, with sealing the port and leaving the back off.
Won't go as low but you may like sound quality better.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.