300 - 1500 Hz: Horn vs Open baffle mids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Unity Horn . .

. . is meant to go down to about 300 Hz.

I know extension depends on horn profile, but when you look up the Unity mid driver, the B&C-DE25, it’s FR is stated as: 1.5kHz - 18kHz ie two octaves higher.
http://www.usspeaker.com/B&C-DE25-1.htm
??

Miguel

Thanks, I’ll check out the Horn Loudspeaker Response Analysis Program, :) but may have to wait till the New Year - only 3 hours away here. (Does it do conical horns?)

Happy New Year All!

Cheers :cheerful: :drink: :c_flag:

Richard

John

Thanks, that makes sense.

How do you think the sealed back mids compare for detail and smoothness, with a compression driver over that FR (300 – say 1.2k)?

In a discussion a while ago (mid '03) on the [DIY] mailing list -subject “Paul Spencer's inquiry... Re: horns”, following:

> In practice, if your mid horn doesn't get down to unusually low
> frequencies (like 150Hz) and even if it reaches 300Hz (still very low by horn standards), you'll end up needing a "filler" driver to cover the upper bass, lower mid/bass area.
> The "usual" solution is a partially horn loaded 12" or 15" driver - similar in some cases to what . .

you said:

> I think the best solution here (for the Unity) is to go the extra distance of building a third set of drivers into the horn. The one time I did this, it sounded much more cohesive.

Are you suggesting bass drivers that feed into the same point as the mids?? Can you elaborate, or do you have a photo?

Thanks

rick57 said:
How do you think the sealed back mids compare for detail and smoothness, with a compression driver over that FR (300 – say 1.2k)?

Haven't really made a direct comparison... I'd say the compression driver on its own horn will be easier to get good results from, but you lose the advantage of concentric sources that the unity gives.

> I think the best solution here (for the Unity) is to go the extra distance of building a third set of drivers into the horn. The one time I did this, it sounded much more cohesive.

Are you suggesting bass drivers that feed into the same point as the mids?? Can you elaborate, or do you have a photo?

No, the third set of drivers would feed in further towards the mouth based on the desired crossover frequency. There's a pic on my webpage in my list of past systems, although not a great one. The tweeter is in the very back. The midrange holes are the four white dots right around the tweeter entrance. Then there are another four white dots closer to the mouth - those were filled in holes. Then there are four holes in the yellow portion of the horn that are the holes for the 12" woofers. This had horribly non-flat response so I had to eq it every which way (active filters), but it still sounded really good in a lot of ways, and I think most were related to all the sound coming from the same point.

John

You (and a lot of others) obviously value cohesiveness highly; I’m more interested in dynamics, smooth response and detail. You said:

> the compression driver on its own horn will be easier to get good results from

With *optimisation of either sealed back mids in a Unity type horn, and a compression driver on its own horn, am I right that the compression driver - due to its much lower moving mass - should have better transient and detail, possibly much better?

Thanks

Ruben

The BMS4590 looks interesting – for those who are not using a tweeter the “two subsystems in one, each driver covers a smaller frequency range for increased power handling, high dynamic and extremely low distortion” compensates. $US 300.
http://www.woodhorn.com/BMS/bms_4590.htm

For my purpose (only to 1500 Hz) I would be better with the H4591 at $240, basically the middle of the 4590, ie without the tweeter. Mind you, compared to output at 1000 Hz, by 500 Hz, it’s down about 3 dB.

Anyone know of a 3 inch compression currently made?

rick57 said:
Mind you, compared to output at 1000 Hz, by 500 Hz, it’s down about 3 dB.

Horns require a new mindset. The compression driver response given by the manufacturer is either on a plane wave tube or a specific horn. It will be completely different on a different horn. The horn controls the response as much as the compression driver.

Hi rick57, all

rick57 said:
John

You (and a lot of others) obviously value cohesiveness highly; I’m more interested in dynamics, smooth response and detail.

In my very humble opinion:
If it is dynamics and detail you're after, you are probably better of with separate horns.
A nice hypex or tractrix midrange horn with a good driver.
I have heard a set of Lambda Unitys here in Norway, they sound very nice and coherent. But you get more subjective dynamics from a good midrange horn IMHO.

cheers ;)

Learning the world of horns sometimes seems like navigating in a room of mirrors. :cubist:

Jeff

I understand your point. That makes it more difficult than with conventional drivers to compare or judge specs.

slowmotion

I was thinking I may well be better of with separate horns.

> A nice hypex or tractrix midrange horn with a good driver
I’m leaning to a pyramidical conical horn because of its simplicity, but am open ti ideas.
Any thoughts on a driver to get down to 350 Hz (I don’t mind using EQ)?

BTW, I really like your avatar, seems to suit a Norwegian horn fan - what sort of horn?

I’ve been doing some research and more likely candidates at this stage are:
P-Audio BMD750,
BMS 4590-4592,
Beyma CP750, B&C DE750,
Community M200 and
JBL 2445, 2482, 2446H & 2450H.
Front runners may be BMS H4591 and P-Audio BMD750.

Second hand, the Altec 291K and a number of others.

I’m not convinced that JBL are worth four times the price of the P-Audio etc. though open to opinion.

BTW Jeff, is it time for your online alter ego to toss that floppy hat?
:) :h_ache:

Hi rick57, all

Yes, a horn system is very difficult to get right.
I'm still trying, and I've been at it for a while now ;)

On the other hand a good horn system opens up the music
in a way I have never heard from "normal" speakers ;)

I know that a lot of people are using conical midrange horns these days.
They are easy to make, but you need to use a lot of EQ to make them sound right IMHO.
I am moving away from them again, back to hypex horns.

The horn in the avatar is an old Western Electric midrange horn.
Fun, fun ;)

cheers :drink:

rick57 said:
I’m not convinced that JBL are worth four times the price of the P-Audio etc. though open to opinion.

I'm not familiar with the P-Audio, but certainly my new Beyma drivers do not compare with old Altec or JBL in terms of build quality.

rick57 said:
BTW Jeff, is it time for your online alter ego to toss that floppy hat?

You've got your head stuck inside a horn ;) - You haven't noticed I changed it a few hours ago.

Slowmotion's avatar looks like a WE15A horn with a WE555 compression driver. You could use a set of these! This set up would cover your desired range with ease. You'd have to take out a second mortgage, though.

Hi Jan

As the compression driver will be 6-12 dB more efficient than the tweeter, I don’t mind using some EQ. So conical midrange horns may have a very lumpy FR – could you elaborate – what did you try?

I googled on hypex horns, but found very little.
Is it a hybrid hyperbolic & tractrix?

Hi Jeff

How are the new Beyma drivers for sound quality?

Avatar - so back to the time of the pyramids

That WE15A horn looks great.

> You could use a set of these!
> You'd have to take out a second mortgage, though.

Man you’re sending me on a roller coaster!
I’d like to find someone who could make it. Is it an curvilinear expo hyperbolic quasi druid? :joker:

Hi,

You can get your WE15A replicas here ;) :

http://www.audioanthology.com/index.htm

Don't know what you would have to pay for them , tho..........

cheers ;)

PS:

Don't know if you know these sites allready,
Volvotreter have Bruce Edgars Speakerbuilder articles online:
http://volvotreter.de/

You can also go here:
http://melhuish.org/audio/horn.html
This page is not complete anymore, I don't know how long it stays up.

Be sure to check out John Sheerins web site, too!

Have fun!

cheers :drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.