Anyone experienced with these Vifa / Scan-Speak products?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build a pair of high quality yet cost effective boxes intended to be used as evaluation platforms for different amplifier design technologies.

As such, the focus is not so much in sound niceness or particularly good looks, but a faithfull and neutral witness of amplifier performance.

Not being aquinted with high performance drivers, I have no direct experience neither solid criteria beyond what an engineer carries as background.

After searching vendors cataloges and comparing performance figures and prices, I have narrowed down to this possible configurations:

1. Vifa PL series PL18WO-09-08 7" woofer + PL27TG-35-06 1" silk dome tweeter.

2. Much more expensive Scan-Speak 18S/8535 7" woofer + D2905/9300 1" textile dome tweeter.

There is also the possibility of higher priced drivers like Scan-Speak Revelator series, and other manufacturers.

So to what I want to know now from experienced builders / users is:

- Can you report on actual results with these drivers?

- Does this selection meet my requirements of a decent evaluation platform or should I aim to much more expensive units.

- Does the price difference between the Vifa and Scan-Speak (or any other suggested brand) reflect in measurable performance?

To round up the setup, it is my intention to evaluate in all cases active crossover configurations, passive ones are ruled out. Amplifier performance aimed is in the 0.01% THD or better range.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Rodolfo

First of all you are wanting to pair up 8 and 10" woofers with 1 and 3/4" tweeters. This is not recommended except for a few select 8" drivers which are well behaved in their top end.

The revelators would be a much better choice simply because they are 5 or 6" size which pair with tweeters much better.

The vifa 8" should not be used above about 500hz.

The scan is much the same really.

Those are really meant for a bass driver in a three way, or the lowermid bass section using a large midrange trebble ribbon driver.

You would be much better off using a 5 or 6" driver like the peerless HDS series for instance.

5th element said:
First of all you are wanting to pair up 8 and 10" woofers with 1 and 3/4" tweeters. This is not recommended except for a few select 8" drivers which are well behaved in their top end.

The revelators would be a much better choice simply because they are 5 or 6" size which pair with tweeters much better.

The vifa 8" should not be used above about 500hz.

The scan is much the same really.

Those are really meant for a bass driver in a three way, or the lowermid bass section using a large midrange trebble ribbon driver.

You would be much better off using a 5 or 6" driver like the peerless HDS series for instance.
Those are 18cm woofers or 7" not close to 8" or 10". The tweeters are both 1" models not 3/4".

Vifa PL18-08

I used 2 pairs of PL-18's in my last project as midbass's. They are decent woofers but don't run them high. They tend to sound compressed and nasal as midranges. I am actually redesigning that pair of speakers to use a pair of Audax Aerogel (standard line) 5.5" midbass drvers as midranges. The rsult was much imporved and not very expensive. The Audax can run high enough to cover soem tweeter sins, so I actually downgraded from a Morel Supreme to a Vifa D27TG35. I cross it in at about 3000hz and the result is pretty good for a relatively inexpensive speaker. I just got a pair of SS Ring tweeters and I'm finding just how good things can really get. I'm also anxious to try out the new pair of SS 15M/4531KOO Midrange drivers I bought.

I have not used the PL tweeter you mention, I assume it offers some advantage of lower distortion over their similar 25mm dome tweeters.
The PL18's I have used in 2 projects.
The first project was a two way using the PL18 and a D25 metal dome tweeter. I was not happy with the results of this design.
My second experience with the PL18 was in an MTM design using 2 Pl18's and an XT25 tweeter.
This brought very good results and had lovely imaging. I would agree with others advise to not use the PL18's too high. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the HDS Peerless woofer whilst perhaps not offering the last word in bass reproduction is a much more forgiving driver with many good features.
I have used the 5" HDS in a 2and a half way design with the XT25 tweeter.
I would describe them as very flat with low distortion. Bass is good but I have since closed off the ports and use a sub-woofer to augment the low end. This offers great results.

5th element said:
He as edited the post, before he wanted to use the PL22 and the 25W/8565-01. Also using a D2010. So before they were 8 and 10" and using a 1" and 3/4 inch dome.

The proposed changes make alot of sense, much better.

Yes (blush) when I made the post, I copied part numbers from another sheet where I was figuring out drivers for a 3 way ... fortunately I spotted the scramble and could correct it before being barraged with spicy comments.

Rodolfo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.