Celestion Ditton 15XR - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2005, 11:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

In the process of buying my parts. I have fitted a pair of Morel MDT-32s tweeters, and they sound fantastic!

Why have you used 2 inductors with one capacitor in your modifications, when the original design just used one inductor? How have you wired up the crossover?

Cheers!
Ben
Old 21st October 2005, 10:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Can anyone else help me, before I start wasting money??
Old 17th July 2010, 03:16 PM   #13
phreas is offline phreas  England
diyAudio Member

Ok would like to add to this old thread . I have had a pair of Ditton 15's in the cupboard for about 10 years .When I first plugged them in I thought one of the tweeters was blown so they went into storage. Recently I looked up the mods' above a thought Ok so out they came. Well one cab rated 6.2 Ohms and the other was 30 ohm at the binding posts on first inspection.
After taking the units apart and cleaning all connections ,changing the wadding and adding some 5mm felt type carpet to the inner walls they came back to life. Oh boy did they come back to life ,the high resistance was caused by some oxidation on the binding posts- internal wire connection. The damping and use of stands has totally eliminated the wooly bass effect that they were known for.
This though highlighted a lift in frequency at the crossover point. As an immediate solution rather than changing any of the crossover components I have at this time resorted to using a graphic equalizer.
Ok now this is were the difference was made, at first I used a Marants amp and the top sounded a bit raw and the lows somewhat weak. So I then switched to a HH VX-150 Mos-Fet Pro amp and used a 31 band equalizer (studio gear ). With the graphic I introduced a reduction at 2.5K to compensate for the crossover and a gentle lift below 350Hz and above 3.5KHz , the amp being compleatly flat in its reproduction. Once the input levels to the amp are correctly matched with the EQ preamp the result has been absolutely outstanding even at low'ish power. The detail and musicality produced means that they will now become near field monitors in my studio and I like to think of them as baby 66'. If you wish to monitor at reasonably low levels in a smallish room bearing in mind I only payed 10 for these speakers well they are absolutely superb . I terms of replacing them I would be looking at well over 500.oo to get the same detail and quality.
So there you go food for thought,if you have a pair of these in the cupboard or are contemplating buying a secondhand pair, they go for around 100 these days,I say keep it British and do it!!.
Hope this helps .
Old 17th July 2010, 05:55 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Celestion HF1300

Coles make a replacement for the HF1300 tweeter.
It looks very much the same as, perhaps identical.
I think it likely that Coles bought the design and perhaps the manufacturing equipment from Celestion years ago.
They also have a soft dome tweeter which can be got to work as replacement for other of the old Celestion tweeters.
I think they do this because various other manufacturers used Celestion drivers, including Spendor and Rogers,
and people want replacement tweeters for those old models now.

Go to ---> Magnetman
and look around the web-site.

Last edited by alan-1-b; 17th July 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: to correct a spelling mistake
Old 17th July 2010, 08:18 PM   #15
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I sold mine, I think all the Ditton 15s in UK are going to Vietnam.
Old 27th July 2010, 03:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default why ?

Hi stevieg,

why do you think that ?

Yes, Asians do like vintage British loudspeakers, including Celestions,
however that is several Asian nations, not only Vietnam ...
but perhaps you intended this in humour ... being that the Vietnamese may be only able to afford the lesser wanted models !
Old 20th February 2012, 07:44 AM   #17
lov is offline lov
diyAudio Member

Default Celestion Ditton 15 xr

i have a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 x r
Pair of Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers. Full working order. Great condition

i wont to sell them but dont no wot the worth
Old 11th September 2012, 06:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Ditton 15: Electronic Crossover

What is the actual electronic cross-over of a Ditton 15? I will be installing Morel MDT-29s to replace the old HF 1300s. The Morels go down to 1800hz, so I want to make sure that the speakers actually cross-over (electronically) at 1800 hz, before I install the Morels.
DittonBoy
Old 12th September 2012, 05:33 AM   #19
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittonFan View Post
What is the actual electronic cross-over of a Ditton 15? I will be installing Morel MDT-29s to replace the old HF 1300s. The Morels go down to 1800hz, so I want to make sure that the speakers actually cross-over (electronically) at 1800 hz, before I install the Morels.
DittonBoy
The Ditton 15 was fitted with the HF1300 tweeter and may well crossover quite low, maybe 2kHz on a two element crossover. The Ditton 15XR has the later more conventional HF1000 tweeter and probably crosses over at 3kHz on a 3 or 6 element network. Since Celestion fitted a variety of networks, you'd better whip the bass out and look at it. Also consider size and of replacement tweeter if you are dealing with a rebate in the baffle, and efficiency. Morel MDT-29 or CAT 298 come in 94mm and 104mm sizes AFAIK.

Happy to help if I know some crossover layout details, especially values. It's often possible to adjust a resistor to match up a replacement.
Old 12th September 2012, 04:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Ditton 15: Electronic Crossover

These Morel MDT29s have an overall diameter of 3and1/16". A perfect match on the outside... might have to shave the inside hole a tadd to get them in... I'll let you know when they arrive... yes, I thought the 1300s were only actually rated at 3000 hz on the low end... the new ones are also rated at 89 decibels, so they should be a close match to the woofer, gain-wise... otherwise, a 10kohm resistor shorted behind the tweeter should fix that, right? An electronic crossover of 2,000hz would be the ideal scenario for both drivers, no matter what year they were made... my only concern is whether or not the capacitors in a 35 year-old cross-over may have degenerated a tadd and if so, who cares as long as they are not letting through a signal that is lover than 1800hz to those tweeters, which are rated at over 80 watts and will probably never be driven harder than 15 watts RMS anyway? Ditton says the 15s (old ones) cross over at 2400hz (8" Woofer, higher midrange capability) ... just wasn't sure if they were actually doing that (or at 2000) electronically, to the tweeter... hard to find specs like that on the net... may have to pull those woofers anyway to install some fresh, thicker wiring to the woofers... thanks for the insight re pulling and looking vs. replacing and leaving the rest alone.... the "if it works, leave it alone" philosophy has much gravity, but my replacing the tweeters (which by the way wound up costing me almost what I paid for the used speakers) says, "but what if we could take something that is already exceptional and update it a tadd, so that it works a little better?" I'll keep you posted and let you know what I find....
DittonFan

Hide this!Advertise here!