simple super-tweeter protection circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Realistic (ahh) Super Tweeters that I need to protect from the 150w (per channel) power amplifier I am using (Onkyo M-501). The ratings for the tweeters are 50w Maximum Music Program (so, 25 REAL max watts I believe), and 8 ohms. I basically need a circuit made with cheap parts I can find at a local Radio Shack to protect the tweeters from blowing out when high vocal/instrumental passages are hit. I don't listen to this system at a loud level. I have heard of fuses being too slow, and would like to try the light bulb path if possible, but am not sure of the power ratings of the bulb or what config. to use in setting the circuit up. Any help is appreciated! Oh, the tweeters do have built-in crossovers.

Agree with bigmike. If it is a true supertweeter, it is probably crossed over very high where there is little power demanded. They will never see 50 watts. A crossover serves as voltage divider, also. Check to see if there is a resistor in series with the tweeter. This along with the other crossover components should provide the protection you need. Just don't drive your amp into clipping.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.