Behringer CX2310 for my line arrays?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being new to DiY speakers and on a limited budget I've been researching active x-overs and like the looks of this one, AND the price!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-664

$64.99 after rebate seems pretty fair.

I'm building some line arrays with 10 Dayton RS 5" drivers and a single Fountek JP-2.0 ribbon tweeter per side. I was wondering if this would do the trick for my line arrays? I'm thinking if I'm not satisfied with it I can always hook it up to my computer rig when I'm done building it and use it for the crossover. I have zero x-over building under my belt and would really hate to spend $$$ on x-over parts and have it sound like garbage. I already purchased Solen 30.0uF caps for the ribbons so the amp doesn't fry them. I also have more amps than I can count (I think 12 full-range at the moment so needing more amps going active isn't a problem!)

Any pluses/negatives to this product are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

I look at that as well, but ended up using a cheap diy kit. I found that a quick active xo doesn't sound that great! BSC is missing for a start. I will admit I didn't spend the time to do it right and I used a crappy amp with a second pre in the signal chain to the tweeter, but going back to my passive xo was MUCH better. I will get back to active of course and do it properly. Just be aware there is more to it than dividing up the frequencies.

In your case, going active allows you to deal with differing sensitivities easily. Sounds like a good idea.

If you were considering BFD then consider one step up to ultracurve which will do a lot more ... messes up your budget though.

The job I'm at now only pays $10/hour (still in college) so I was looking more for a quick fix until I get done with school and can earn "real money". This speaker project has taken every extra penny I have; I even needed to borrow $20 off my fiancee to buy a sheet of MDF! Do you think I'll get good enough performance out of this CX2310 for around 6 months, until I get out of school and will be able to afford something like the Ultradrive? It won't be a complete waste of money because my next project is going to be a set of cheaper line arrays for my computer and I'll need an x-over for those as well so I can transfer the CX2310 to my computer rig.

Thanks!

Hmmm not sure how satisfactory it will be. Consider also a diy active xo if you are reasonably confident with electronics. You can do passive BSC as well. If you are this hard up for cash you might also have a go at a passive xo - saves you an extra amp. Sounds like whatever you do will be sub optimal for a while ...

I'm not suggesting any one of these more than the others, but I'm guessing whatever you do will be sub optimal, so also consider your other options and weigh up cost as well. I must admit, the Behringer Active xo does have the advantage of being adjustible, and readily re-useable, so this is a big plus. It does look good. In my case I could make a diy version for quite a bit less, and I wanted to have a go.

Hi,
the manual of the CX-2310 says that the XO-pot for the sub defines the XO-frequency beween SUB and LOW.
Does that mean the LOW-signal will be high-passed at let´s say 200Hz if you set it there?

The Behringer service support seemed of no help so far.

Hi Jens,

my comment as a happy user of the CX 2310: NO

I havn´t actually plugged a subwoofer into the CX 2310, but the XO-pot for the sub has no influence on the woofer whatsoever. Seems to be only add-on and not integrated-with ;)

to mazeroth:

The x-over of the CX 2310 is strictly symmetrical, so using it near the roll-off of a speaker will be a caveat.
In my applications the x-over frequencies tend to be 100-250 Hz. That low passive x-over-components become quite expensive. So my CX 2310 really has charged off. For its price tag you can´t do wrong.

Rudolf

I don't have any real measuring equipement.
The same here.
I still don´t have a microphone (gonna get one of those capsules) but it´s also a nice experience to "see" what you do setup by ear.
Usually I started "tuning" at moderate volume levels.
Just when I thought I had "it" I turned louder and the bass was overdone/boomy.
You´ll probably also find that your Canton´s "prefer" certain XO-frequency.
Will you take the passive XO out of the speaker?

greets

Looks Like a Decent Deal but One ??

I've been thinking of getting a simple active crossover for a future experiment/project with either open baffle or line array. When I checked the link I noticed that the CX2310 uses XLR inputs and outputs since it's designed for pro audio. When I did a quick check for XLR to RCA adaptors I saw they they're about $10 each - which means about another $60-70 plus shipping to get it hooked up to most stereo systems. Is there anything similar that uses RCAs?? Or can you just get into the case and solder directly to the unit?? Any ideas for other solutions?

When I did a quick check for XLR to RCA adaptors I saw they they're about $10 each - which means about another $60-70 plus shipping to get it hooked up to most stereo systems. Is there anything similar that uses RCAs?? Or can you just get into the case and solder directly to the unit?? Any ideas for other solutions?
If you don´t mind to solder the adapters yourself:
You just need some shielded cable, XLR and RCA connectors.
Check the CX-2310 manual (downloadable) to see how it´s done and which XLR plugs you need.
And yes, readymade adapters are quite expensive.
(5$ for a good adapter is a nice price.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.