Reconing Question from a newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I stumbled across this wonderful forum about a week ago and I think that I just found my new passion, although I still have a lot of lurking to do before I'm ready to build my first clone.

In the meantime I have a question. I have the original Proac Response 2 speakers, and my woofer is going bad.

I was going to buy a new one from Proac until I learned that the dollar had sunk so low that it would cost me about $350. My dealer recommended (off the record) that I call Madisound and inform them of my plight and see if they could find me a suitable Scan Speak replacement.

A very nice Wisconsin man with a Fargo accent told me that if I could track down the driver model he could recone it for $40. But he warned me that some people complain that reconing changes the sound.

And this leads to my questions.

From this forum, I learned that the r2 clones use the scan speak 18w/8543-00.

Is this what I should tell him to use? And if so, what does he do with this info? I imagine that the driver costs a lot more than $40, and I'm struggling to accept the fact that Scan Speak would be willing to sell individual driver components.

Also, should I be very concerned about the sound quality issue? Would I be better off just purchasing an entire new Scan Speak driver instead of just the cone?

Or should I bite the bullet and buy a $350 Proac driver and set my first cloning adventure back a few months?

I hope my question wasn't too much of an intrusion.

Thanks for creating such a great community!

Reconing a driver used mostly in the bass is pretty routine. If a driver is used up into the midband, reconing absolutely will change the sound. Aftermarket cones will likely be a different material with a different damping treatment than the original (or none at all).

Bite the bullet, I'm afraid.

Oh, yah, shure.

I'm afraid that the rubber surround is in perfect condition. The Madisound rep told me that the cone had probably gone a little bit off center.

If reconing isn't the answer, can I buy a stock Scan Speak driver, or do I need to return all of my Christmas presents and buy the Proac one?

Measure the inside of your box and the port dimensions if any. Model the Theile-Small parameters of the reccomended woofer in a simulator like WinISD... see how it looks.

If you don't yet know how to do all that, trusting the Madisound rep. is a decent second bet.

Speaking about reconing Pro drivers... Most repair stations for Pro
JBL Altec EV and others will rebuild with the exact same cone voice coil and spider assy. I can speak from experience on this as I have send many a driver in. This type of rebuild will not effect the performance of that driver.

The better repair facilities will take the time to get the correct replacement parts to do the job correctly. There is a facility in MI that can repair ALL american drivers.

if you're going to recone it then get a recone kit from the original manufacturer (providing they're still around of course!)

that way you're getting a brand new speaker and the only variances will be those in manufacturing that you'd expect between different samples of the same model

reconing them yourself is really easy the hardest part is cleaning the basket of the old cone and glue and finding a supplier for the new glue that does DIY volumes (not 5 litre containers that we had to buy!)

face it whilst the designers of these speakers might be surpassing Phd level in their understanding, most likely the staff employed to build them are not, ergo, it doesn't take much more than a trained monkey to do it!

i had some destructions somewhere i'll try digging them out

dave

Thanks to everyone for the all of the advice.

I guess that I'll try to recone it with the proper material (or let Madisound do it since I always seem to get into trouble with glue) and if it sounds bad, then I'll buy a new Scan Speak or Proac driver.

I'll follow up with a report on how it comes out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.