WR125S with extemis in a 1.5 or 2.5 way ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2004, 08:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default WR125S with extemis in a 1.5 or 2.5 way ?

Since I am in Seattle, I thought I would support the local economy and try these Adire designed drivers for my next project. I was thinking about running the WR125S in a 1.5 configuration with the extemis (if they ever arrive). No filter on the WR125S and just a single coil on the extemis. My plan was to put the WR125S in a short heavily stuffed T-line (just to kill the backwave and damp the resonance) and the extremis in a full t-line or the hybrid type of vented t-line that I am just starting to read about at Martin King's site.

Later I would bring in a tweeter around 6k cause I am sure the beaming of hi frequencies will detract from the use of these speakers for the front pair of my home theater. I will probablu buy a third WR125S for a center channel. Not sure if I will try to add a woofer and tweeter to it or not. I can always run the center in small mode. My receiver has an equalizer for the center channel and I might be able to get by using it to make up the baffle step and extend the very high end alittle.

Any help particularly from you Adire guys would be appreciated!!

"The gate is back open in January"
Old 20th December 2004, 03:06 PM   #2
synergy is offline synergy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

reckon we're thinking along the same lines here

just this morning i've been playing around with exactly that

i've roughly got

mains:-

tweeter = ? not got this far yet
mid = WR125S - 4.5L sealed high passed around 100Hz run full range
woofer = Extremis 6 - 30L MLTL tuned to about 30Hz

center:-

as mid above

rear surrounds:-

WR125S - 7L vented tuned to 55Hz run full range

subs:-

2 x TangBand W8-740C in 6th order Band Pass should get me F3's of 20Hz and 70Hz

i really like the idea of the coherency the WR125S will give to the system being able to use it full range as well as for the mid duties opens up lots of possibilities

dave
Old 20th December 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default I think a tweeter will be necessary

I think a tweeter will definitely be needed for the L/R fronts, otherwise the off axis response will suffer. It may be necessary to add the tweeter to the surrounds as well. I like to use surrounds that fire at the ceiling for a more indirect effect. Might not need the tweeter for the surrounds if you aim them directly at your seating.

The center might be different, I think dialog is improved by a single full range. But with just a single 4.5" you cannot run it as a large speaker.
I still believe that the center will need the .5 woofer if you are planning on running configured as large. Remember, in movie soundtracks almost 85% of the soundtrack comes from the center channel. I keep trying to come up with a way to add the .5 woofer(s) to the center without having to add a pair of them on either side of the WR125s.

I have thought about adding a single internal woofer configured as a bandpass and using a slot thru the front baffle as the output, to add to the lowrange. This would make the cabinet deeper, but not necessarily any wider. I am not sure if the diiference in phase would make things better or worse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg center with bandpass woofer.jpg (70.8 KB, 320 views)
Old 21st December 2004, 12:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Extremis 6s are somewhere between the factory and the distribution point... Literally any day now for deliveries to start rolling...

As far as the designs go, we're planning an MT (actually have it finished - come on by and take a listen), an MMT (coming soon), and then an LCR (right thereafter).

The LCR will be like our LCC - a pair of Extremis 6 woofers flanking an MT combination of the WR125S and a tweeter. Use it for center as well as left/right applications.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Old 21st December 2004, 04:52 PM   #5
sbolin is offline sbolin  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DanWiggins
The Extremis 6s are somewhere between the factory and the distribution point... Literally any day now for deliveries to start rolling...

As far as the designs go, we're planning an MT (actually have it finished - come on by and take a listen), an MMT (coming soon), and then an LCR (right thereafter).

The LCR will be like our LCC - a pair of Extremis 6 woofers flanking an MT combination of the WR125S and a tweeter. Use it for center as well as left/right applications.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Hey, good news! Can't wait to get mine. I better get cracking on finishing the designs...
Old 22nd December 2004, 02:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

ok I'm getting lost in all the lingo here!!!
a little elboration please!

TM tweeter + mid ok

but LCR and LCC? huh?
Old 22nd December 2004, 02:43 AM   #7
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

LCC = large center channel

LCR = left center right. A speaker that can be placed horizontally or vertically, usually an MTM. In this case a WMTW.

Hide this!Advertise here!