How high can this popular bass driver be crossed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Peerless XLS 12
http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/data/830500.htm
A very good sub - low distortion, especially for the money.
What more can it do?

The graph shows it’s reasonably flat up to *490 Hz.
I’d like to (because I already have them) mate the XLS actively to a mid, that I thought would go to 180-200 Hz. I now learn that the mid (a PHL) doesn’t like to go below about 280 Hz.

A 4th order at 280 Hz would have the XLS down 24 dB at 560 Hz. From the graph, the sharp dip starting at 490Hz drops it about 10 dB more, by about 600 Hz. When the drivers are summed, I guess this could cause a dip over that band, but I have no idea how audible or ‘unappealing’ that may be.

Before I fiddle around and try it, what do you think? Anyone done something similar?

Your PHL mid is not that good, 280 Hz is quite high!

Geez, what a criteria to judge a driver by. If you want to cross lower than 300 you need a midbass not a midrange.

I guess this is philosophical: some prefer old skool 3 ways with a midrange covering perhaps 500-4k, while others prefer something more like a sub/sat configuration with the 'midrange' going down much lower into the midbass.

Considering the peerless driver in question, perhaps the latter approach makes more sense for this project.

GB

rick57 said:
I hope you’re right, but I’m asking not about off-axis response, but extended higher end response.

You need good off-axis response if you want to use that driver to cover these frequencies IMHO, but it's not a problem since that driver does it well.

It will do well in extended higher end response if you use a 4th order crossover to prevent the dips and peaks.

Originally posted by Greg B Geez, what a criteria to judge a driver by. If you want to cross lower than 300 you need a midbass not a midrange.

Hehe, sorry maybe it was a bit harsh, but I prefer a midrange going down to about 50 Hz and up to maybe 2 kHz. A compression driver take care of 2 kHz and up. A real subwoofer take care of stuff below 50 Hz. It's still a 3-way design! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.