Notch filter for Tangband W3-871

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to be building John's TangBands. http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html
I would like to order the notch filter parts from Part's Express along with some other items.

Will the parts listed below be close enough?

Part's Express
.70mH 18 GA PERFECT LAYER INDUCTOR (dcr=.39ohms)
Part Number 266-820

DAYTON 6.5 OHM 10W NON-INDUCTIVE RESISTOR
Part Number 004-6.5

DAYTON 8.2uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE CAPACITOR
Part Number 027-426

Thanks

The resistor and cap should be fine. The issue when subbing inductors is the DCR value. It's best to stay as close as possible to the designers values. Unless there is a particular reason you want to purchase from Parts Express you could get the exact parts John used from Madisound.

Timn8ter said:
Don't get me wrong. That's exactly what I was wondering. It's hard to justify another set of shipping charges for a couple of $3 inductors. John's inductor was .41 DCR and the first one you listed is .39 DCR. That should work fine.

Right, that's so close that it doesn't even matter. Should be fine. Crossover components aren't nearly as critical as some people think.

About the only time time it's critical is when building a filter for a high Q breakup, when the notch has to be a precision strike on a sharp peak. In those cases, the L and C are much more important than the R. The TB 871 in-box response peak in the midrange is a very low Q peak.

The other time it's mildly important is on the low pass section of a woofer crossover. For example, in a crossover designed to use a heavy gage steel laminate, going to a cheap air core will probably suck some efficiency out of the system and change the crossover rolloff a bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.