T/S parameters Vifa?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone out there help me with the Thiele/Small parameters for a Vifa 10 inch M26WO-06-04.I have just blown one of the subs in my Martin Logan SL3.I need the parameters to look for an alternative basselement because the original is rediculus expensive.
/ Sven-Åke

Ron E said:
Best would be to measure the remainng woofer, then replace both with something that works.
Thank`s for the answer. I had that in mind too and probably it`s the best thing to do and it also gives you the exact parametrs for the specific woofer.The manufacture doesn`t always give you the true numbers.The thing is i have to send the woofer away by mail and that is a little tricky in Sweden,you can end up with a destroyed woofer.
/sven-åke

Another thing that i shuold mention,i had a 10-inch woofer MGR -20 -40 a really cheap woofer lying in the closet not even right impedance (6ohm) that i put in the hole in my SL3.I`m trying the balance right and left and can`t hear any difference in sound on the speakers,think it`s a little strange.Or is it so that it doesn`t matter on these low frequencies (250hz and down).Not even the crossover will work right with wrong impedance ,and still it sounds pretty good.

sven-ake said:
Thank`s for the answer. I had that in mind too and probably it`s the best thing to do and it also gives you the exact parametrs for the specific woofer.The manufacture doesn`t always give you the true numbers.The thing is i have to send the woofer away by mail and that is a little tricky in Sweden,you can end up with a destroyed woofer.
/sven-åke

The parameters don't have to be exactly the same in the replacement, but it would b best if the impedance and sensitivity were close, and the in box F3 was close - you can let Qtc (assuming sealed box) slide a bit either way... Depending on how you blew the woofer, you might want to look for one with more powerhandling or more excursion....

Ron E said:

The parameters don't have to be exactly the same in the replacement, but it would b best if the impedance and sensitivity were close, and the in box F3 was close - you can let Qtc (assuming sealed box) slide a bit either way... Depending on how you blew the woofer, you might want to look for one with more powerhandling or more excursion....
I used an digital amplifier a DIY from www.lcaudio.dk something happened with the right channel so i burned the amplifier as well.Luckely the warranty on the amplifier covers at least the right modul in the amp.Thank God i was bi-amping otherwise the electronic and the panel in the SL3 had burned to.

sven-ake said:
Anyone by the way knows if the sensitivity on a loudspeaker is 89db does that mean all of the elements are 89db`s after the crossover?Before the crossover it can be more than 89db?

Perhaps, perhaps not. The Mfg spec of the finished speakers or individual woofers could be off by 3 or more dB depending on how they define it. That is why it is best to measure the original woofer parameters and match the DC impedance and derived (calculated) sensitivities of the originals to get the best match.

kelticwizard said:
I've seen listed something called a Vifa M26WR-19-04.

Are you certain that is not it?
No that`s not it but thank`s anyway, mine is probably special made for Martin Logan so it only remains to measure the healty element and look for similar 10inch woofer.I rather buy two other than pay the rediculus money ML want`s for their 10 inch woofer.
/ Sven-Åke

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Yes, Peerless, Vifa's compatriot company in Danish Sound Technology, apparently does that too. They make a speaker to a manufacturer's specifications, then assign a part number to it, similar to their stock part numbers, but not available to DIYers.

Reason I know this is that every now and then, the manufacturer discontinues his order and these perfectly good drivers end up in discount houses, etc, and you can't look up the Thiele-Small numbers.

They probably use the same voice coil as the stock Vifa drivers. So if you measure the diameter and the Re of the voice coil, and they match a stock Vifa driver, that might help in fitting it up to the crossover.

kelticwizard said:
Yes, Peerless, Vifa's compatriot company in Danish Sound Technology, apparently does that too. They make a speaker to a manufacturer's specifications, then assign a part number to it, similar to their stock part numbers, but not available to DIYers.

Reason I know this is that every now and then, the manufacturer discontinues his order and these perfectly good drivers end up in discount houses, etc, and you can't look up the Thiele-Small numbers.

They probably use the same voice coil as the stock Vifa drivers. So if you measure the diameter and the Re of the voice coil, and they match a stock Vifa driver, that might help in fitting it up to the crossover.
Iwill measuere the healty elemet and produce it on this board if anyone needs the parameters. take it and use it any way you like it.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would also like to know the T/S parameters for the M26WO-09-04 that are in my SL3's, so I can figure out what they did with the passive XO (It's supposed to be a 250Hz XO, and I want to approximate it in my cheapie electronic XO.):
330uF bipolar electrolytic in parallel and an unknown mH value, 1.1 Ohm DCR 19AWG coil in series. Can anyone help? In particular, that 330uF in // doesn't make sense to me....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.