Extemis - Fact of Fiction - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2005, 04:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Canadian Extremii are on the move!
I emailed Creative Sound last night. This morning I had a response, with tracking number. Sweet.
Old 13th January 2005, 04:43 PM   #12
sbolin is offline sbolin  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Yes, I forgot about my own thread
Mine arrived today, after spending two days in Thai customs (I suppose they wanted to listen to them or something, I dunno ) Packaging was great, very secure, and the speakers look very nice, too - Adire should be proud. However, some not so nice FR plots are showing up, which is making me nervous, since I don't have a good measurement system and really rely on manufactures info and what others measure, too. I am looking forwarding to seeing others designs with these speakers. As I mentioned before, I have a bunch of Focal T90s that I will be using, and they are not as forgiving as the Seas when crossed low, so I am not sure what to do.
Old 13th January 2005, 08:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Here's the frequency response of the 2 Way kit that several of our dealers will be offering:

Click the image to open in full size.

That's 1/3rd octave smoothed, 200 Hz and up. Uses the Usher 9950C (shielded) and crosses over right at 3 kHz. As is shown, it's roughly +/- 1.3 dB from 200 Hz and up; the maximum is at 10 kHz at 86.4 dB SPL, and the minimum is at 1.7 kHz at 83.8 dB SPL, with an average efficiency of 85 dB SPL for the kit.

It's not nearly as scary as it looks; many of the plots shown are extreme close-up measurements which are not valid for FR measurments in the nearfield (good for examining cone modes, yes; not applicable for usable frequency response), and are typically pretty expanded, raw scales.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Old 13th January 2005, 09:17 PM   #14
kfr01 is offline kfr01  United States
diyAudio Member

Any hint on when we can expect to see those, Dan? As you can imagine, those of us w/ a pair already in our possession are itching to decide whether to use the kit or design our own. :-)
Old 13th January 2005, 09:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Talk to Kevin Haskins at DIY Cable...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio
Old 23rd January 2005, 04:29 PM   #16
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JonMarsh

BSC is accomplished mainly by juggling the first inductor value against the upper midrange impedance, and in fact you can tweak the level over a narrow range, depending on what you use for an RC zobel for the woofer. Sometimes people just use an inductor paralleled with a resistor, so that there isn't as much interaction with the driver impedance, but then that requires having an extra inductor; same net insertion loss, typically. I prefer the single inductor approach. (fewer parts).

~Jon
That has always been my approach as well. I tend not to like what series insertion can do with the complex IMP of wide range 'mass' oriented dynamic systems. The balance is there.. you just have to be patient and find it...

Sorry to jump in, but I'm looking at these 'extremis' drivers. I'm looking very closely. Very. My first purchase, if they seem good, is to buy 10 to do a full surround/center design, with active (dual) Tummults or Bhramas.

Amps, too, quite likely. If this works out, it will become production. Full retail, with full dealer network. Start off small..with 10-12 dealers... you DIY guys can pee and moan about high retail pricing, etc, but that is a large part of the grease that keeps all this DIY stuff moving.

It is stated earlier in this thread that these Extremis might be a bit noisy on top?(edit!: possibly contentious statements removed!) What do thes sound like in comparison to the other 7"'s that are out there, insofar as their upper mid/low treb goes? In my experience, if it can't do that........btw, I don't want to be using high slope crossovers. ug. Thoroughly disgusting beasts, those 24db crossovers.

Thanks for your effort!

Edit: Ah, I see the Adire gentleman is here. Good to hear from you. I'll be calling you on Monday, to bug you with my impolite but relatively direct and hard questions. The one's I removed from the post.

Hide this!Advertise here!