VIfa P22 WP- 01 8 inch driver specs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2004, 06:03 PM   #1
kimbo is offline kimbo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default VIfa P22 WP- 01 8 inch driver specs

I'm putting together a pair of boxes using this four ohm vifa driver which is no longer a current model. I have found at least three different sets of specifications for this driver (Apex Jr, an old post on this list and Silicon Chip magazine).

Does anyone out there have the real official factory specs?

When I contacted Vifa they would not supply the specs but told me to contact the Australian distributors who then would not provide them as they no longer carry the item (if they ever did)......hhmmm customer focus?

Thanks,
Kimbo
Old 14th December 2004, 11:22 PM   #2
mAJORD is offline mAJORD  Australia
diyAudio Member

the P22-WP-01 is actually an OEM driver used by mackie in there studio monitors, they were in surplus last yr hence why some distributors had hold of them, so they never were part of vifa's driver lineup.

ive used 2 in my current setup and have all the specs at home, ill reply with them when I get home Tonight if no one else has by then.

cheers.
Old 15th December 2004, 11:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ok here we go..

impeadance: 4ohm nom
power: 100wRMS
Sens: 90 +-2 dB
freq response: 35-4000hz
Voice coil Re: 5.8ohm
Resonant freq: 29.5Hz
Qms: 2.2
Qes: 0.31
Qts: 0.27
Vas: 77 Lt
Cone area: 235cm sq

not 100% certain on this particular 1:

BL: 10.2

cheers
Old 16th December 2004, 11:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the really prompt response maJORD.

These are the same specs as quoted by US Speaker/apexjr/audio liquidators. I have seen slightly differing specs from an old post here (mgraves) with the res freq as 35Hz. The Silicon Chip/Jacar article this year gave a figure of 31Hz.

I have measured a couple and get a figure of 31.2Hz and 32.0 Hz which tallies with SC. I was trying to be lazy (just comes naturally) and put my faith in the given specs from apexjr who I bought them from some time ago, but it looks like I'll have to pull my finger out and run the measurements and calculations myself (although I am not all that confident about getting acurate figures except for the free air res).

I'll give them a bit of a run in over Christmas and post my results for the benefit of any others who may have purchased them. Anyone else out there run their own tests?

thanks, Kimbo
Old 17th December 2004, 01:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

n p

I havent run my own tests no, Im pretty sure i sourced my specs from Jaycar /electus, so thats odd that they quoted 31hz,

Id be very interestd in your tests, and also your final design results, what sort of system are u looking at??

Cheers
Old 17th December 2004, 07:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It started with reading the the Silicon Chip/Jarcar JV80 article. When I found that I could import the drivers for a reasonable price from Apex Jr (about half the price of JACAR) I thought I'd have a go at something similar. MTM /D'Appolito design.

My feeling for speaker design is that although a flat response is good, minimising internal reflections and breaking up any internal standing waves is just about as important. As well is minimising movement of the box sides, I also worry about unwanted cone movement from reflections.

I'll probably build boxes of about 100 liters tuned to around 35Hz, with a single 120 mm dia. port, with lots more bracing and internal dampin, and will take pains to minimise the amount of parallel surfaces.

I'll be using an active crossover and feeding this using the preamp side of my NAD701. The tweeter will be driven by the power amp side of the NAD and the pair of 8" will be driven by a poweramp that I built midyear that uses a pair of SC480 modules (about 70W) with separate torroidal power supplies.

I'll keep you posted once the Christmas mania is over and I can make some more progress.

Cheers, Kim
Old 18th December 2004, 09:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

sounds good , I think these drivers have a lot of potential considering the price you can get them for. once I have a means to measure response properly Ill get stuck into redesigning my setup for better bass response, ( 37L reflex 2 way with a D25 tweeter)

ive found the midrange ability to be very good , be interesting to see if u find the same , i just feel they might need a complex crossover cabinet design to get the most out of them.

only thing i fear is once theyre all gone , theyre all gone and buying replacments will be difficult.
Old 19th December 2004, 07:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it also occured to me that replacement would be a problem.

However, I hope that as the two speakers in each box have 100w per speaker ratings and my power amp would only supply about 70W max per channel, I'd have a pretty good safety margin.

Also, I'm a family man with a small lounge room, so they won't be driven hard. That said, my seven year old daughter will be 15 in eight years, and starting to have parties.......oh,oh - perhaps I should have a long range plan of looking out at garage sales for some real cheapies as party speakers! Better still, build a couple of chip amps for her too!

Hide this!Advertise here!