Speaker projects with Tangband W3-817S: Needle and Brick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

after presenting my Cyburgs-Needle project, which is a floorstanding, easy-to-build one way design specially suitable for beginners (for further information see: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47403 ), I made a compact version called Cyburgs-Brick with the same TQWP contour, but 3-dimensionally folded in 4 sections.
The recommended drivers for both designs are the Tangband W3-871S and the Visaton FRS8. For the Tangband a notch filter is recommended.
The designs go well below 50 Hz in room and don't need a subwoofer. However, SPLmax is naturally limited with a single 8cm driver, but sufficient for normal listening levels.
Here are some impressions:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FRS8 Version:

Nice greetings, Berndt

Some pictures from assembly:

Cut-outs marked:

All cut-outs done:

Upper part ready:

Lower part ready:

Damping seen from lower part:

Damping seen from upper part:

One speaker's front, other speaker's back (FRS8 version):

Both ready for listening test (FRS8 version):

Nice greetings, Berndt

Cyburgs, just a question. What did you use to get that grainy texture. I have seen many "PA-systems" using such texture, what do they(you) use to get that.

b.t.w. have you seen the needle like enclosure in one of those german loudspeaker magazines(klang&ton or HobbyHifi)? They also use the w3-817s

@bombardon73:
I know the Lancettas in Hobby Hifi Magazine very well. Seems to be a nice design, but I have not had the possibility to compare them with the Needles by now. Funny story: Some of the guys in German forums constructed (more as a hoax) a conspirational theory about the fact, that "lancetta" is Italian for needle. But the Lancetta and the Needle are, except of the fact, that they use the same driver, totally different designs, even totally different concepts.

On the Brick I used a paint called "Tiger Schmiede Antik Lack Schuppenschwarz 12 grob", which is a grainy metallic paint normally used for iron parts, which should get a vintage look. After applying 5 layers, which is no problem, because the paint dries very fast, you can polish it with a rug or a brush and it gets a very nice grainy anthracite shine (which is not really visible on the pictures). Then I finished it with transparent paint.

Nice greetings, Berndt

bombardon73 said:
Cyburgs, just a question. What did you use to get that grainy texture. I have seen many "PA-systems" using such texture, what do they(you) use to get that.

b.t.w. have you seen the needle like enclosure in one of those german loudspeaker magazines(klang&ton or HobbyHifi)? They also use the w3-817s

Ditto NappyLady........Use Rhino lining. You see it in truck beds all the time. You can do it yoursel, or take it to and auto body shop and have them blow it on for you.

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.