Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2004, 03:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default can anyone identify this lovely vintage FR driver?

I just scored a pair of these 5" drivers on the bay. They were described as being out of some 1960's hi-fi gear. The ceramic magnet is unusually huge for this era and the VC seems large. I was hoping these might be a vintage Fostex or similar. Can anyone identify them for me? The grilles that they came with are a possible clue, although they would portray the finished speaker cabinet brand, not the driver necessarily. Thanx.

Did I score treasure or junk?

Planet 10, what are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47_1.jpg (21.5 KB, 311 views)
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 12th December 2004, 03:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is another view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f6_1.jpg (19.1 KB, 262 views)
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 12th December 2004, 04:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't think they are anything special. Maybe CTS. The grills say EPI, an early speaker company. I think the 60's is wrong as they were doing Alnico at that time. Maybe the late 70's.
Old 13th December 2004, 01:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bill,

I have a pair of Electrohome hanging speakers that each contain a single driver with a steep cone like the Ohm Walsh transducer. They use the back of the cone as does the Walsh. They have fairly large ceramic disc magnets and I'd be surprised if they were newer than 1960's. I sure hope your rather doom and gloom prognosis is in error. I hate wasting my hard to come by money. Thanx for the reply.

Anyone else? Dave?
Old 13th December 2004, 01:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
auratone used simlar drivers
mcgee radio sold those for
what numbers are on the back?
Old 13th December 2004, 02:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

>They use the back of the cone as does the Walsh.

Ya Mon !
Old 13th December 2004, 02:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomtt
auratone used simlar drivers
mcgee radio sold those for
what numbers are on the back?

The best I can read from the auction pics are two rows of numbers. In the first row I see 2445 and then a 5th symbol illegible, possibly an "N". In the second row it looks like 285 7256.

I guess 7256 looks suspiciously like a date code giving credence to Bill's theory.
Old 13th December 2004, 02:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hitsware
>They use the back of the cone as does the Walsh.

Ya Mon !
They sound really good. The highs are way better than you'd expect, especially since they are merely a paper cone, and of course they have omnidirectionality. I should post a picture.
Old 13th December 2004, 02:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Radial ! ........... I like it !
Old 13th December 2004, 04:08 AM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The best I can read from the auction pics are two rows of numbers. In the first row I see 2445 and then a 5th symbol illegible, possibly an "N". In the second row it looks like 285 7256.
This appears to be a standard format EIA coding except for the last two digits, i.e. '285' denotes Rola, '72' the year, and '56' the week, but of course there's only 52 weeks, so.......
GM

Hide this!Advertise here!