Info about Realistic 40-1285C full range???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I got a pair of single driver Coral BX-9 speakers from a thrift shop, thinking that they might have a nice Coral full range driver inside.

But after inspection, I found a Realistic 40-1285C full range driver hidden inside instead.

The Coral frequency response stated on the back label was 120Hz to 16kHz @ 16 ohms, but someone had written 8 ohms @25 watts on the back with a date of 1980.

So, all I can figure is some one blew one of the original drivers in 1980. Or reaped a better Coral driver and replaced them with the Realistic drivers.

Could some one here familiar with Radio Shack drivers tell me what I have found while digging for thrift store gold?

Thanks

Norris Wilson

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Here's the 1998 Radio shack catalog page for the 40-1285, not he 40-1285C. I don't know if there is any difference. I would tend to doubt it.

Assuming the two are the same, you would seem to have a wideband, perhaps not a full range.

Pressing on the catalog is what made the scanning a little crooked. But here is the info. It isn't much, alas.

Attachments

• radio shack cat page 40-1285.gif
    radio shack cat page 40-1285.gif
    73.3 KB · Views: 360
Info helpful, thanks

Thanks Kelticwizard,

This information is a far cry from what I previously had.

I am not sure if this driver is good for hi fi purposes, it will definitely need help from a tweeter.

If anything, I can use it for the mother in laws television, since she is getting hard of hearing and likes to crank on the single tiny speaker that is inside of her set.

Some times we have to take a chance to try and find that hidden treasure under the pile at the thrift junk shop. In this case, it did not turn up the gem that I was hoping for.

I will just have to keep on digging.

Thanks again

Norris Wilson

Joined 2001
I have a couple of old Radio shack catalogs here, so if you come across anything, just give a holler.

Here is a hint: if you find an old Radio Shack speaker model that you are interested in-one that is perhaps just a year or two out of date-make note of the number and go to your local dealer. Give him the number, ask him if he does not have it in stock is there any local place that does. He should have that listing on his computer. Of course, it would be a good idea to go when the store is not crowded, which means after Christmas, I would think.

If it is out of date and some Radio Shack store has it in your area, the discount will be substantial.

Interesting link for RS drivers.

Thanks again Kelticwizad for helping me with another link of information regarding the Radio Shack 40-1285C drivers and possible uses.
This article is interesting and the results are better than I expected from this driver. I do not think that I would consider going to the length that the author has gone though.
The Coral cabinets that these drivers were mounted in seem to work pretty good for use as television speakers, where they will reside.
I will keep searching for hidden treasures, hoping for a gem that will be a good hi fi speaker.
If you have any specific models of vintage or overlooked speakers to watch out for, it will be helpful in my dig.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Norris Wilson

Joined 2001
Re: Interesting link for RS drivers.

Norris Wilson said:

This article is interesting and the results are better than I expected from this driver. I do not think that I would consider going to the length that the author has gone though.

LOL, I kind of figured that. Ijust included the link because it was fun and served to show that these drivers might be better than what you thought.

Norris Wilson said:
I will keep searching for hidden treasures, hoping for a gem that will be a good hi fi speaker.
If you have any specific models of vintage or overlooked speakers to watch out for, it will be helpful in my dig.

That would be an excellent question to start a thread in the Full Range forum, if it has not been asked already. In fact, I kind of hope you go ahead and ask that, because I have a couple of tips for someone who likes to poke around second hand stores, tag sales, etc but who doesn't want to get too much into charts or graphs, who would still like to know important info about whatever speaker he has come home with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.