A decent sub for minimus 7's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

This is my first post, but I've been reading the forums, and I haven't really found the answer to my question.

I recently suffered a disaster of sorts, and I need to replace much of my equipment. I have put together on the cheap a somewhat decent HT receiver and a few pairs of Minimus 7's.

My question is, what sort of sub will go well with these? Much of what I have was purchased off eBay (kinda hard to scoff at a pair of 7's for $20, unless you've gotten a pair your friend was tossing out), so I'm looking to continue the low-cost/doesn't-totally-suck performance trend. I would like to do a decent passive sub, but I'm not sure what the response is on the 7's, so I don't know what sort of crossover point I should use. And if they need to crossover high, should I then have a pair of subs?

Whatever help I get is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Hey, thanks for the info!

The entertainment room is rather small, maybe 15 feet deep by 13 feet wide. The receiver puts out 100 watts RMS per channel, but I never crank it.

As for my taste in bass, I prefer it balanced all the way down. In fact, I'd be willing to sacrifice the very lowest 20 or so hertz (say, 20-40Hz) just to keep it nice and tight (as far from flatulent as you can get).

I currently have the fronts about 5 feet apart, and two feet from the front wall. They're toed in very slightly. I have the center on a cobbled together shelf above the tv because they're not shielded. The surround channels are on the wall a couple of feet above and about a foot behind the listening position. I'm still playing around with those.

All told, I'm really surprised at how good the little beggars sound, especially once you factor in the price. All I'm lacking is a couple of octaves at the bottom end.

Now if they're good down to about 120-130 hz, shouldn't I be able to run a decent single sub and cross it over at 180 hz, and not worry too much about it sounding localized? As you can tell, I don't have loads of room to play with, so is there a decent sub I could cobble together myself that would fit the bill?

Thanks again for the replies,

Eric

I don't run subs and haven't played with 7's in at least a decade so take this with rocks instead of grains of salt. 180 Hz sounds way too high. It's into male vocals, and don't forget the sub will still have significant output at least an octave above for typical x-overs.
I do recall a pair of 7's surviving abuse at the hands of 200 watt SAE when we were bored one day, so I doubt power handling will be an issue for a room that small. I also recall that the 7 was tuned to a fairly high Q, meaning a rise at resonance. If it were me I'd start at ~ 140 for the satellites and, on the assumption the rise in speaker response will result in slightly more extension, stagger the sub x-over to 120 or less. A lot will depend on placement too.

I've still got two pair of 7's which I bought for my cars back about 1977 or '78. I used mine in-house with a 10 inch driver xo'd about 100Hz or so. Please don't forget to modify the 7's if you want semi-decent sound. I have a pair that I modified and a stock pair. There is a great deal of difference (and improvement!) involved.

For this system, try PE's Quattro 10 inch driver and the ApexJr "junior" plate amp. It's been independantly tested in excess of 130 watts into 4 ohms. Neither of these components are expensive and give good bang-for-the-buck value.

If you need a better Sub, then go for one of the Adire Audio drivers and an Apex "Senior" amp.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hey, thanks for the replies! Now let me respond:

Please don't forget to modify the 7's if you want semi-decent sound. I have a pair that I modified and a stock pair. There is a great deal of difference (and improvement!) involved.

What sort of modifications are you referring to? I've spent hours on Google trying to find tips, but what I've come up with so far includes "painting" the cone on the woofer with puzzle coat (a thinned PVA glue?), replacing the existing electrolytic cap with a polystyrene type, soldering the speaker wires, and further dampening the interior of the cabinet with something (I guess to lower the resonance, but that's my ignorance showing). What would I use to dampen the cabinet? I would love to hear all the tricks!

I'll have to look through the forums again, but are there any driver replacement recommendations? Just in case, you know...

For this system, try PE's Quattro 10 inch driver and the ApexJr "junior" plate amp. It's been independantly tested in excess of 130 watts into 4 ohms. Neither of these components are expensive and give good bang-for-the-buck value.

So I took a peek at partsexpress.com, and I found the speaker, but not the amp. I was able to pull up plates amps in general. So the idea looks good, and it would be something worth sacrificing my morning mocha for, but my 5.1 integrated amp output only has a mono line-level LFE out (no left/right RCA jacks), and I'd have to spend quite a bit more money than I like to get a plate amp with a single LFE input (direct). I'll just have to keep looking.

The nice thing about the amp is the fact that it has a built-in x-over. Should I try to match the amp and sub x-over, or should I pad either one?

I don't run subs and haven't played with 7's in at least a decade so take this with rocks instead of grains of salt. 180 Hz sounds way too high. It's into male vocals, and don't forget the sub will still have significant output at least an octave above for typical x-overs.

Thank you; that's excellent information. I wasn't sure whether the 180Hz point was too high or not.

If it were me I'd start at ~ 140 for the satellites and, on the assumption the rise in speaker response will result in slightly more extension, stagger the sub x-over to 120 or less.

Are you referring to room lift? Thanks for this as well, since I hadn't even considered it.

I do recall a pair of 7's surviving abuse at the hands of 200 watt SAE when we were bored one day, so I doubt power handling will be an issue for a room that small.

I thought the power rating was a bit on the conservative side. They're fairly sturdy speakers. Not that I'll be shoving 200 watts into them anytime soon.

Thanks again!

Eric

You asked:

What sort of modifications are you referring to? I've spent hours on Google trying to find tips, but what I've come up with so far includes "painting" the cone on the woofer with puzzle coat (a thinned PVA glue?), replacing the existing electrolytic cap with a polystyrene type, soldering the speaker wires, and further dampening the interior of the cabinet with something (I guess to lower the resonance, but that's my ignorance showing). What would I use to dampen the cabinet? I would love to hear all the tricks!
``````````````````````````````````````
````````````````````````````````````````
Ok, I'll tell you what I did and let anyone else add their ideas.

First, I coated the woofer cones with 3 coats of Latex wallpaper border adhesive, applied one thin coat at a time. You can add acrylic craft paint to it at a ratio of 1 part paint to 3 parts latex if your cones are that parchment color and you want ,for instance, black.

Second, I replaced the electrolytic capacitor with the same value polyprop. Increased the wire guage to 18 awg and soldered to drivers.

Third, I used non-hardening oil based modelling clay rolled into a thin layer (1/8th inch or so) and applied these "sheets" to the inside of the cabinets for damping.

Fourth, I used 1/4 inch thick self adhesive weather stripping foam to cover the entire area around the tweeter dome. I imagine that layers of felt would work as well, but I haven't tried it.

With the grills off and the foam in place, there was a great improvement, a little less with the grill installed. The midrange was improved a great deal, voices sounded more natural and smoother, not bright and "edgy" as the unmodified 7's sound. I A/B'd them with my second pair of stock 7's and just switched back and forth on the speaker selector knob on my receiver while playing music that I was familiar with.

I noticed that you couldn't find the Apex Jr. amps. They are available from Apex at: www.Apexjr.com

Anyhow, I hope this will get you started, it's an interesting project.

Best Regards,
TerryO

This is great... I'm getting all sorts of ideas here! Thanks for the info.

I went to the Apex website, and the amp looks perfect, except for one thing: it has left and right input jacks. My amp only has one RCA output jack for the sub. Does anyone know how this works? Does it sum the bass and push it down a mono pipe, and what sort of sub amp should I use with this? I was thinking I might just kludge a single to double-end cable, but I don't know whether this might screw things up. The reason I don't want to use the crossover on the plate amp is because I already have one box with a load of wires hanging off of it, I don't want another one.

Also I discovered while playing around with my amp that the internal sub crossover only goes up to 120Hz. I just hope that the sats go low enough to avoid a big dip in the freq response around that point. Will some of the mods help to alleviate that?

All told the tips have been very handy. I've already removed the grilles (I like the look better as well), and I'll go and pick up some spare parts soon. Thank goodness there's a Radio Shack nearby; I should be able to procure the wire and caps easily. Hey, they even have an art supply section at the college bookstore... modelling clay!

Your amp will be fine with only one output.

The high level ouput is an 8 ohm 125Hz 6 dB high pass. It will be fine to use it or to run the speakers straight from the amp. It does seem like a lot of amp for matching the minimus 7's though.

Read the literature again on the amp. It tells you about mono operation and when to use high level or low level.

Most of all enjoy.

Cal

Stocktone said:
Are you referring to room lift? Thanks for this as well, since I hadn't even considered it.

Sorry, on the road for work the last couple of days. Not room lift, the speaker itself. The 7 has a significant rise at the fundamental resonance of the woofer in cabinet. RS did this to get away with a small cabinet and trick your ears into believing there's more deep bass than a meter would confirm. By crossing over above the rise (don't recall the amplitude) the high pass section will pull it down. Cal's suggestion does effectively the same thing, brings it down about 3 dB at 125 Hz (depending on x-over type: passive or active) and results in a roughly third-order acoustic high pass from the 7's at that frequency.

So here's what I understand so far:

I can esssentially run a decent sub with the speakers, x-over at 125Hz, and not suffer too badly for it? If that's the case, great! I'll worry about audiophile playback later (read: after graduation). I've noticed that the system sounds better than any HTIB setup I've heard so far, so I think this will suit me for now.

If I've got this screwed up, let me know!

I've also solved my single RCA jack into a pair of jacks question. I went to Radio Shack and noticed that they've got the y-adapter for sale. Forget about kludging my own. Now I'll focus on some of the tweaks I've read about.

Thanks for all the help I've received here.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.