Bose 901 series V clipping? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2004, 01:21 PM   #31
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
Why don't I believe that all drivers are connected in series?
According to this replacement parts website, each Bose 901 4.5" driver is 1 ohm:
http://www.oaktreeent.com/Bose_Speaker_Parts.htm
(Scroll about halfway down the page).

Interesting, the fellow at this website claims only a 60% success rate with refoamed Bose drivers passing the frequency response test of the original. Hmmm.
Old 14th December 2004, 02:03 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

The Bose 901 was never a competitive speaker for high fidelity use. Spraying sound around a room indiscriminately is not hi-fi (the paper Bose himself wrote on the effect was very badly flawed). Clearly some people fell for the effect, but it's not a reasonable way to recreate a recording. I believe the term party speaker was used above. That might be a better application, in that imaging isn't an issue, only volume.

Grey
Old 14th December 2004, 02:50 PM   #33
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I really don't see where it would be a particularly high volume speaker either, frankly.

There are nine 4.5" drivers that are supposed to have a surface area equal to that of a 12" driver. However, I haven't seen anyone argue that these 4.5" drivers have a throw anywhere near that of a 12" driver. Does anyone know of a 4.5" driver with an excursion of (+ or -) 0.25 in, or 6 mm? For that would be the linear excursion for a decent 12 incher in the seventies. Excursions have gone up since then.

The original 901's were sealed, so there was no excursion relief for the 4.5" drivers. Later models came out with some fancy name, but which I suspect gives no more excursion relief than the bass reflex. But most speakers today are reflex, so there is no advantage there.

Plus, I doubt the 4.5" speakers have the excursion of even the 70's 12 inchers.

So, where is this big volume capability coming from? If the speakers play loud enough for you, and they might, fine. But so will most 12 inchers on the market.
Old 14th December 2004, 02:53 PM   #34
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I think that if he has his heart set on the 901's, he should consider refoaming the drivers if he thinks that is the bottoming out problem.

However, that warning about refoaming on the website has me concerned.
Old 14th December 2004, 03:02 PM   #35
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

1. The 901s drivers are measured in series. I am an Electrical Engineering student and have been building speakers for 4 years, don't believe me-fine. I know what series looks like. I also again, have the 901s at disposal for proof.

2. I think Bose gave the 901s an "acousti matrix" enclosure or something rather. There was a port for each of four drivers in the rear and one port for the front loudspeaker. They were 'cantilevered' ports and produce very little turbulence.

3. They don't play that much louder than one channel of my proto type speaker right now. In a medium-sized and open room, I had one 901 playing to about 103-106dB. on 100W RMS. My prototype speaker will reach 103dB. but I have yet to reach 106ish. Oh, and my speaker isn't IMD'ing like the 901 and sounds 'xoverless'. Thank you series xovers!

4. The 901s are a fun speaker to listen to, but I think it is time for Bose to stop milking it and come up with something new. Dr. Bose has got have better ideas for reproducing lifelike sound by now...screw profit margins, build the industry another 901-like revolution. (same impact)
Old 14th December 2004, 03:26 PM   #36
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bose(o)
3. They don't play that much louder than one channel of my proto type speaker right now. In a medium-sized and open room, I had one 901 playing to about 103-106dB. on 100W RMS. My prototype speaker will reach 103dB. but I have yet to reach 106ish. Oh, and my speaker isn't IMD'ing like the 901 and sounds 'xoverless'. Thank you series xovers!
What drivers are in your prototype system? I am trying to see how well the "nine 4.5 in. drivers equals one 12 in. driver" concept works, SPLwise.
Old 14th December 2004, 03:51 PM   #37
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

dual Illusion Audio LM-804s in OB H-baffle and Seas P17RCP08 and 19TNF08 in another OB. I will be using one LM-804 per channel in a TL enclosure once I can get the wood and warm up to cutting the wood in the cold.
Old 14th December 2004, 04:22 PM   #38
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Okay, so the Bose delivered more SPL into a room than an Open Baffle with two long throw 9 inch woofers on it, (the Illusion 804's), and one 6.5 open baffle midbass with tweeter-both Seas.

At least on 100 Watt input.

I'm a little surprised, although Open Baffles tend to be less sensitive than boxed speakers.

How wide was the Open Baffle with the Seas 6.5 incher on it?

Where are your crossover points? These may affect the sensitivity of the Open Baffle.
Old 14th December 2004, 04:51 PM   #39
jmikes is offline jmikes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
The Bose 901 was never a competitive speaker for high fidelity use. Spraying sound around a room indiscriminately is not hi-fi (the paper Bose himself wrote on the effect was very badly flawed). Clearly some people fell for the effect, but it's not a reasonable way to recreate a recording. I believe the term party speaker was used above. That might be a better application, in that imaging isn't an issue, only volume.

Grey

Not a "reasonable way to recreate a recording?" Oof. Clearly some people don't get it. There's more than one way to judge a loudpeaker and enjoy its output. If you don't like it how a good quality dispersion speaker sounds, fine. I could care less. But, please, don't make blanket statements insulting people you don't know about things you know nothing about.

A good dispersion speaker setup properly provides a nice, full sound that I prefer over a narrow angle, thin sounding beamer. The dispersion comes with a cost, of course, but I've always been willing to sacrifice some soundstage and reproductive accuracy for the more life-like ambience that dispersion and diffusion can give you.
Old 14th December 2004, 05:02 PM   #40
jmikes is offline jmikes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default And furthermore . . .

Reproducing recorded music is something of a non sequitor. Can't be done with a loudspeaker, no matter how much you spend on your output devices. The dynamics just aren't there. The dispersion concept is just another attempt at compensating for that, much like reverb and four-channel. And that is simply something I prefer. If others don't prefer it, that's okay with me. I just wish they'd dismount from their high horses.

Hide this!Advertise here!