Another Line Array Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,

I have been a member here for a while but rarely post. Instead I have spend countless hours reading and trying my best to soak up as much info as I can. After all my reading Line Arrays really caught my eye.

My goal here was to build something cheap, loud and if it sounded good that would be a bonus too. I wanted something to take over duties from the Definitive Technology mains when I have people over for get together or other high volume situations.

The enclosures are 81.5" high, 12" wide and 14.5" deep. They are made out of 3/4" MDF. The enclosure was divided into two main sections: Mid section and tweeter section. This way it will be easier to seal the mids. The mid section was then divided into four subsections with 4 drivers in each. These drivers will be wired in series together (the drivers I will be using are 4 ohm). I also made braces so overall there is bracing between every other driver to keep resonance to a min. Each set of four drives will then be wired in parallel for an end impedance of 5.33 ohms. I also tried to keep the drivers as close together as I could to keep comb effect to a min.

The mid drivers I will be using are old MTX Blue Thunder 6.5" mid/midbass drivers I got REALLY cheap. They should work pretty good for my needs.

As for the tweeter section I will be using the small tweeters Apex have for $.50. I am going to using as many as I can depending on impedance and such......still working on that part.

Anyway, let me know what you think and try not to flog too badly

;)

Attachments

• dsc03330small.jpg
    dsc03330small.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,687
You know between you and the speakers, there is a joke in there about piling er.. stuff that high! :)

Actually the cabinets look good, it is a shame you are going with cheap drivers. I would love a pair of cabinets like that to stuff with some Vifa, Morel, Scan/Speak speakers.

Oh well, I will be interested to hear your listening impressions.

Regards

Anthony

Ya, the store I work at is one of the best. We have built demo cars for companies like JL Audio. Kicker, Stinger, Jensen and many others.

We use MDF in car audio everyday along with fiberglass and two part foam. With those three things we can make just about anything, any shape you need or want.

I will be ordering the tweeters sometimes this week. Should be really fun prepping the tower for all those tweeters but I think it will all be worth it.

Anyone have any thoughts on sub arrays??? Was thinking about building matching towers with 4 or 5 Dayton SD315-8-8 12" subs per tower ported. On my box program it looks pretty good in about a 2.5cf enclosure. I am not really sure what room gain would do to it thought. I am used to in-car gains, not in-room gains. Any help here would be great. Again the goal here would be good SQ, high SLP, cheap and a little on the overkill side.

Thanks for everyones positive feedback on these so far.

Heres a few more pics of the progress. I routered out the 6.5" holes so the drivers with fit nice and flush when mounted. Because they are mounted so close and my measurements are not quit perfect some of the wood between the holes was so thin it broke when a routered them. I cured this by simply drawing a nice rounded curve and routered them out by hand.

In this pic you can see how thin the wood was between the drivers. You can also see the halve circle I draw to cure the problem and made everything look nice and clean.

Attachments

• dsc03359small.jpg
    dsc03359small.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 684
your line arrays

Great construction. The kit people will sell a set of cabs like that for over 1000 bucks.

The potential trouble spot is the tweet line. You are breaking the golden rule of no more than a wavelength between cone centers. You might consider selling a pair of cabs to someone and using the money to buy some ribbon tweeters. (which, properly mounted, resolve the cone center/wavelength issue by virtue of not having a cone center).

I think that if you are going to breathe all that mdf dust you should go for broke and get the drivers you want. The speakers will last you a lifetime - so its... only pennies per day - unless of course you expect your life to be short, which we hope is not the case. :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.