Should I build the BassZilla or the Linkwitz Orion speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Altec 755Es and a pair of Lowther DX-3s (old cones) that I'd like to turn into speakers.

I'm really interested in doing an open baffle design, but I'd like some sort of bass response as well. So I'm considering a design that incorporates a bass module.

Between the two speaker designs, what are the pros and cons of each? Also, is there some consensus as to which one sounds "better" (subjective, I know)?

I've heard the 755s work very well on an open baffle, but any idea of how the DX-3 would work? I understand Dick Olsher specifies the DX-55 in one of his newer designs, but perhaps it's a totally different driver.

I'm looking for good performance, but I don't have a ton of money to spend at the moment. I'd be more inclined to go with a cost-effective solution so long as it performs resonably well.

Thanks for your help,
KT

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
definitely basszilla
i have been using dx3s on open baffle for many years and have been realy happy with the results
since i have three paires of them, i tried basszilla like configuration with some 15" woofer in closed enclosure and dx3s sitting on top on open baffle
i was so impressed with the sound that i am going to rebuilt my main speakers with two dx3s per side, maybe with tweeter, although dx3 does not necassarily need a tweeter

Ive looked at both as well and the real difference is really dependant on whether you want an all dipole system or not. All dipole requires lots of equalizing and multiple amps. Since the Basszilla uses a BR box its really not a full range dipole. I have come to like dipole or horn bass the best even though they are LF limited (assuming size is a constraint)Dipole is so natural sounding, with little boominess and horns are just so dynamic and clean.

Both are well liked by their owners and no doubt sound excellent given their driver selections. And I guess it depends on your hi-fi philosophy. Single SET or multiple amped active approach. Check this out as a lower cost alternative. He is still working on the final design.

http://www.mfk-projects.com/rs_dipole.htm

amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.