Wood Cone driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2004, 10:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wood Cone driver

JVC made a small driver with a wood cone (birch).

I saw this in a magazine a few months back, it's interesting to say the least.

JVC WOOD CONE DRIVER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodcone.jpg (15.0 KB, 366 views)
Old 8th December 2004, 10:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I heard those in a store once. They didn't really impress. But then the speakers were sitting on a shelf between a bunch of washing machines, boomboxes and microwaves in a chain store, so don't take my impression too seriously.
Old 8th December 2004, 10:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard them myself... and mini-systems are, well... boomboxes sans handles.

Anywho... the cone material is curious.
Old 8th December 2004, 10:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ERICSPEEd
mini-systems are, well... boomboxes sans handles.
Well said. I'd be interested in how heavy the cone is though... getting the wood thin enough to be light would probably make it very easily split (since the fibres go in basically one direction?). I reckon it's a gimmick to sell more "boomboxes sans handles"
Old 8th December 2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Joules is offline Joules  United States
diyAudio Member

cross grained veneirs rolled into a cone ... maybe? different woods for different sounds hhmmm.
I once had a set of speakers, manufactured in Maryland USA, that had aluminum cones (long be for anybode thought to use metal) and wooden baskets. the evalution to wood baskets greatly reduced stray resonences and overall the three way sounded really great. the were called EZEKIELS
Old 8th December 2004, 02:13 PM   #6
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

They claim that the secret ingredient is sake. Supposedly the designer tried every which way, a la Edison, to prevent the wood from splitting. He ended up soaking it in sake.
Old 8th December 2004, 02:42 PM   #7
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder if Junmaishu soaked speakers sound better?
Old 8th December 2004, 04:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I dont see the point, paper cones after alll are wood, just mulched up and tailored with glues etc to make the properties exactly how the manufacturer wants them to be. Thus creating to best material (that paper can become) for the loudspeaker cone.

Why go to all the bother of a wood cone when paper ones clearly have more advantages. If a solid wood cone was that much better it would have been done YEARS ago.
Old 8th December 2004, 04:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I just read the website thingy. If what they are saying is correct about sound travelling faster with the grain then against it. How do they get consistancy between the cones....

Each bit of wood would be different, thus having different grain patterns, thus altering the performance and most probably frequency response of the driver.

Smells fishy to me.
Old 8th December 2004, 04:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm really not looking forward to some of the more effete magazine reviews should this type of thing get any traction. All sort of cracked-pot nuace ascribed to - how many varieties of wood are there out there? Not to mention which favorite beverage you might decide to soak it in. Here's the nightmarish opportunity to marry some the most ridiculous observations ever wrought into prose - the wine tasting - with what must be a close second - the high end loudspeaker audition.

Hide this!Advertise here!