New version of The Edge baffle step simulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Version 1.5 of The Edge is now available at http://www.tolvan.com/edge

From the docs:

Added in ver 1.5

- Correction of the way the strength of the edge sources was calculated. Previously, the amplitude reduction of the edge sources by the distance law included the driver-to-edge distance. This was wrong, since this part has already been taken care of when dividing the edge in sectors seen from the driver sources. A slight difference from this change can be seen when the microphone distance is near or shorter than the dimensions of the baffle. The effect of the change is a lowered level at low frequencies in the new version.

- Hint text changed (+3dB -> +2dB) for "Suggest f1 & f2" button.

-The minimum number of corners, edge sources and speaker source density is now 1. This makes the editing of these values slightly more well-behaved, even though there still are issues (which are related to the implementation of the spinedit control in Delphi).

...in other words; I found a small error in the way the response was calculated, this is fixed, and so are a few other mini-quirks.

Have fun!

Thanks Svante! This is a really good, professional quality program.

Will you ever consider allowing different shaped/sized drivers? (That is, 1" rectangle plus 8" circle?) I often use your program to do polar response predictions, and I just fudge things as needed. xDir is nice too but not nearly so flexible as the Edge for multiway modeling.

"No.:bawling:"
That's to bad.
I keep getting a small hump at the transistion from 4pi to 2pi radiation and I'll bet a radiused edge would help.

Svante- I just saw your Xdir thingy. Thats really neat. I've
been looking for something like this for a long time.

what would be realy cool would be a slide pot for the freq. so you could get a quick impression of how the pattern changes. Even if the calc's have to be sub divided into 3rd octive steps

And as long as I'm in fantisy land ... To be able to asign an xover filter (freq and order) to the T's and M's and then be able to slide pot the input freq would be just the cat's pajmas.

Svante - You da' man

Question:
If I have following set-up in classical MTM arrangement top to bottom...
woofer < 315Hz
tweet > 1800 Hz
Fullrangemid < 1800Hz

Can I just use the tweeter woofer option in Xdir? because at 315 Hz with 165mm drivers they will be dispersing heaps, no need to worry about the directivity...

Cool programs - will see if they predict my perceived problems... then we will know what to do about them problems...

Thank You!:)

Thanks for answer

"Cool programs - will see if they predict my perceived problems... then we will know what to do about them problems..."

Yes it does!

The baffle step does indicate the frequencies where I'm currently having problems 100-300Hz, and 1- 3kHz.

Below 300Hz, the baffle step shows decrease in baffle related gain, below 125 my small room makes up for it... what to do???

The baffle step sim gives 1,5kHz dip surounded by 1 and 2kHz peaks...;)

tweet & mid both sound good around 2kHz X-O, but peak at 2 kHz makes in phase polarity mid tweet sound very sharp in presence region, otoh, the tweet doesn't like 1,6 Hz X-O, but is OK with 1,8kHz - my X-O freq. currently, (24dB/octave) sounds OK, slightly less alive... So score two for the Edge... solution, get better tweet to go down to 1.5kHz and put in phase with mid... bump up FR in the middle of dip...:cool:

Any other nice fabric domes you know of that can X-O @1500Hz or less? with 24dB/Octave (have active X-O so slope is a given)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.