Father & Son project almost ready, XO help needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2004, 02:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Father & Son project almost ready, XO help needed

Wanting to do a father & son project; HiFi,woodworking, soldering, building, and listening to music. Wanting to do a project like the Meadowlark Kestrel 2. Looking at the Peerless HDS 182 6-1/2"(no PP) and MOREL MDT-39 1-1/8" COMPACT DOME TWEETER. The Usher 9550, poor man's 9500, may end up being the tweeter I end up using, same SPL, slightly lower impedence, and lower Fs than the Morel. The Peerless is used in the Kestrel 2. Slanted baffle with first order XO. The woofer -3db at about 2500Hz and the tweeter -3db at about 3500Hz, plenty of overlap without too many mids. Help with LC(R?) number would be appreciated. Thanks to all who provided suggestions along the way with driver selection.
Joseph
Special thanks to Chris Roemer at the PE board for his recomendations.
Old 3rd December 2004, 08:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For a first father & son project, I'd recommend sticking with a design that already has an optimized crossover. The crossover is the heart of the system and your son will enjoy the project a lot more if it sounds good when you are done. Wayne J's "Pee Creek" is a low-cost system that is pretty similar to what you have in mind. It uses the Peerless CSX woofer (similar to the HDS except for a stamped steel basket) and a North Creek tweeter.

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...k/pcrkmain.htm
Old 4th December 2004, 03:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I actually second catapults recommendation. It is very difficult to offer solid advice when it comes to crossovers because they are unique to the cabinet and driver combination.

I strongly recommend to anyone who is sersious about this to buy something like LSPcad any of the versions will do. And build the wallin jig or similar to go with it. Once you open up the world of actually measuring and simulation things become a lot easier AND predictable.

The cheap option to this is speakerworkshop by adua, that is free and providing you build the wallin jig, a mic preamp and a get a mic. You will end up with, at very little outlay, a measuring system and simulation package. OK its not a user friendly or powerful as the ones you can purchase but its 1000x better then nothing.

Hide this!Advertise here!