rebuilding a speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this speaker system in a land fill. It had obviously been there for years and had been rained on for several seasons.

It has a 12" paper cone woofer with foam surround which has all but disintegrated. It'll need reconing. The 5" paper cone mid-range and 3" paper cone tweeter are in the same sorry shape.

The box was particle board but because it got wet and the glue joints came apart, all but the front panel are missing and the crossover is gone as well - probably buried in the pile somewhere.

I hate to see this go to waste. I have an old table radio with an aux input and I figure this could be one of the main speakers in a home theater system I'm putting together.

Can someone tell me how big of a box I should build, what crossover parts to buy and where can I get the drivers reconed?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
Can someone tell me how big of a box I should build, what crossover parts to buy and where can I get the drivers reconed?

Bill,

Unless the driver is somehow exotic, the cost of a recone -- if you can find a recone kit -- probably far exceeds the drivers perfect working order value. Sounds like they may well be only worth salvaging the magnets.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.