How about SEAS kit: Trym? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2004, 10:39 AM   #1
santi is offline santi  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Default How about SEAS kit: Trym?

Does anyone built or heard the SEAS kit: Trym?
Trym
How about the sound?
Compare to the Proac 2.5 clone, Troel's TJL , which one is better?
Old 8th December 2004, 08:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody?
I need some short review about Trym. Could someone help me?
Old 8th December 2004, 09:13 AM   #3
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but, gee, that's an ugly speaker. It's huge (34L) for a bookshelf, and if you're going to put in to a stand, then I'd choose Troels' TJL.

This one's the winner IMHO. Troels is a meticulous guy and I'm absolutely confident with his designs.

I've already committed to building it, but with limited funds and another project under way (NaO), it will take awhile.
Old 8th December 2004, 10:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Tktran
I am very impress with TJL but worry about the next couple year.
The Trym can be upgrade to Linkwitz's ORION if needed. With TJL, it would ended. The thing I woory is "Does the TJL could produce enough bass for rock music?" (not heavey metal but something like the Eagle)
Old 8th December 2004, 12:00 PM   #5
sbolin is offline sbolin  Thailand
diyAudio Member

First, I am making comments without hearing the Trym (I have heard something similar to the TJL, though), so my experience is limited. However, even though the Trym x-over is at 1600Hz, it still bothers me to have a 22cm driver working as a midrange. The W18 used in the TJL would be much better, I think, but certainly without the same bass extension. I listened to a model similar to the TJL, but using the Excel tweeter used in the Trym, and it was very nice.

If you are in Bkk, you may want to go to Absolute Audio, on Sukhumwit Soi 23. They are mainly a car stereo installer, but they have several Seas models on display that you can listen to, so you can hear it before hand.

By the way, do you make your cabinets yourself, or do you have them made? I am looking for someone to make some cabinets for me, and would appreciate any recommendations.
Old 8th December 2004, 02:38 PM   #6
ChriSka is offline ChriSka  Norway
diyAudio Member

Linkwitz uses the same construction with his Orion speakers. But the x-over is at 1400 Hz, which is lower then the Trym speakers. So I don't think there wil be a problem with the Millenium-W22 combo.
Old 8th December 2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Account Disabled

Santi,

I questioned Troels about the bass issue too. In retrospect I ask too many questions, because it is very difficult to answer whether something has "enough" bass, because everyone has a different reference.

However in my own experience I've found that bass response is strongly dependant on the size of the room and particularly placement proximity to walls.

Obviously Troels doesn't like to sing about his own designs, but I read between the lines. I've got a Response 2.5 clones, and for any 2-way to have "bass comparable to the 2.5 clone and a more moderate sized cabinet", and "appear to match the 2.5 clone [but] being less boomy," well, that's enough for me...
Old 8th December 2004, 04:00 PM   #8
sbolin is offline sbolin  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChriSka
Linkwitz uses the same construction with his Orion speakers. But the x-over is at 1400 Hz, which is lower then the Trym speakers. So I don't think there wil be a problem with the Millenium-W22 combo.
But that is just the point. He isn't taking the W22 up very high, even lower than the Trym, plus he has (effectively) a subwoofer operating below it. I don't doubt the Millenium's capability, but I do doubt the W22's capability to go much higher than 1400 Hz without having problems, either direct or off axis. 22cm is big to be playing so high.
Old 8th December 2004, 04:47 PM   #9
Account Disabled

I've never heard the Orions, but have read posts from people who have questioned the use of such a driver all the way up to 1400Hz. Linkwitz himself says that "the driver should ideally only be used below 1 kHz." but to stitch it to the tweeter he takes it several semitones higher to 1.4Khz. Now this is probably on the low side for the T25CF002.

I came across this today:

http://www.mfk-projects.com/orio_n.htm

and some quantitative measurements of the W22EX001:
http://www.mfk-projects.com/dayton_rs.htm

These measurements seem consistent with Linkwitz's own measurements, after which he noted (Note 2: of this link that "it's hard to find low distortion driver than can cover 500Hz to 3Khz", in the context of a driver suitable for his particular application (3-way only, and with enough displacement for dipole operation)

It an likelihood the Orion is a very good speaker, but let's not kid ourselves in this hobby. It's not the perfect speaker, and, at least for me, not likely to be the "Build your last loudspeaker yourself !!" project.

Like all other speakers, compromises had to be made...
Old 9th December 2004, 02:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks All,
For your discussion, there are lots of useful information.

For the W22EX001, I believe it could match any tweeter well. The frequency response graph shows that it closely to the W18E001 at the upper, plus more extension at the lower.

How about the idea?
-- Enlarge the TJL cabinet from 24 liter to 34 liter.
-- Use W22EX001 substitute to W18E001.
-- Tune port for lower bass. (28Hz)

The good news, JP3 is now 60.75 US$ (from 81 US$) at madisound.

Sbolin,
I live in Bangkok. I am not sure to build my own cabinet or order a speaker shop. Also I have a plan to buy some tools to DIY furniture. I think it must be ugly furniture but I love to. If you are finding someone to build cabinet, do you ever contact XAV (www.xav.co.th)? They could make a very nice one for you.

Hide this!Advertise here!