Dayton 6" reference and dayton silk dome tweeter combo project...input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello...

i'd like some input on my frist non-full-range speaker project...:xeye:

i want to build a simple MT with the dayton reference 6" woofer and the dayton silk dome tweeter (no need for shielded, but couldn't hurt...)

does this sound like a good combo or could i get a better tweeter for about the same price? i don't want to spend TOO much money on this...:whazzat:

if not, could you recomend a good tweeter for me to use?

i'd also like a bit of advice on different crossover types and the like if possible...

thanks in advance!

Ah, hey- I guess you saw what I said in the Dayton Reference Open Baffle thread, so I won't repeat- just a couple of thoughts, though.

I suggested an MTM because the 6 can only produce so much bass in a closed box (I happen to prefer those)- and it will produce even less in a dipole.

For tweeters- you saw what I said. For crossovers, I would recommend a 4th order crossover, as low as the tweeter is likely to handle. This is because the dayton RS mid has some bad breakup in the high frequency, as any metal cone driver does. In order to keep them smooth and clear, they need high order crossoverd and/or notch filters.

I'm going to model a 6" and 7" as a MLTL and see if it's got any potential.

Joe

OK, somebody is going to need to need to corroborate this, but I think the 7" can get quite respectable response in a mass loaded transmission line.

What really needs ot be checked are my values for Sd and BL. I said that Sd is probably around 170 cm^2- but I didn't see it actually listed on partsexpress, and they don't have dustcaps... so that might not be a good guess. Also, I said that BL is around 9. That's could be wrong by a lot, but I need to look that up.

Anyhow, I modeled a box around 38 x 11 x 9 that seems to have good even response, and an F3 well below 30 hz. (not counting baffle step.. that would have to be dealt with)

So- if you can build a floorstander, no need for a sub :)

Joe: Check the very end of their impedance text file. It has D (diameter) listed (Sd = 81.7cm^2 for the RS150), and it also has Bl listed (5.28 for the RS150). :)

I also get good looking results in a TL. Not sure where I like things yet. With light stuffing it's good extension to mid 40's but a bit rocky, using a 5:2Sd tapered line 66" long. Stuff to smooth things out and it nears infinite baffle response. I'm probably trying too hard to match a ported enclosure when I don't need to/shouldn't. I haven't looked at TQWP.

Ported, the RS150 reaches to 40hz comfortably. Not sure about the RS180 as I haven't looked at that one yet at all.

C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.