Looking to create my own cube satellite speakers...tang band the answer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Beware the tiny cubes!

If you try this, be careful not to re-create some of the same mistakes Bose made.

see here: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

As you can see, there's a big gap in the frequency response of the midbass. If you want a small theater system, I would encourage stereo subs that go high enough to meet your full range, or else a full range that goes low enough to meet the sub. Seems like a "duh" statement, but it's hard to do with little cubes and an out-of-the-way bandpass bass box.

Well mine TB's are not as small as the Cambridge or Bose. But, I think if you go too small (enclosure) with the TB's you'll loose what little bass these little drivers do have. I believe the dimensions of mine are 6 x 8 x 6 (3/4" MDF, which is over kill!). What ever you decide will be a lot better than the Cambridge or Bose cubes. I feel sorry for the people that spend so much on Bose stuff.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
If you want to use just a single sub then your main boxes need to go down to 100Hz minimum, otherwise the position of the sub in the room will be really obvious. Why don't you try using the specs of your favoured drivers in the online version of winISD to see if they go that low.

Because I am VERY new to this and am an idiot when it comes to all those numbers. I have a background in thermal sciences and design. I can tell you which way or how fast air will flow but when it comes to the sound dirrection and watts forget about it. I am very handy with wood and the construction process but the important stuff prior to the construction I am useless. I would love to build a really good sounding surround system without having to go out and spend $1000 on a pre-built system. I am not sure what to get in line of the speakers. I will be getting a Sony STR-DE897 which will provide 100w x 7. I guess I need to understand what speakers will be able to handle this power with out blowing. I obviously also want speakers that will reach the low voices and the high all in one. I may be asking for to much not sure. Let me know the best 2" to 3" speakers for this. They will be teamed with a seperate powered woofer for the bass. Any advice on speakers $ 20 ea or under would be a tremendous help. I have an ear for good sound so that is very important to me but realize that I am limited due to the budget. Thanks in advance!

Jered22

jered22 said:
I will be getting a Sony STR-DE897 which will provide 100w x 7. I guess I need to understand what speakers will be able to handle this power with out blowing.

You might be slightly confused about power. That sony only pushes 100w when pushed to its max. With reasonably efficient speakers it will rarely be pushing 30w unless you're "off the handle" with the volume control. In which case, you shouldn't be looking at building cubes.

If you're still concerned about the speaker's physical power handling ability make sure to implement a proper high pass crossover in some way... through the bass management feature of the receiver, passive, xo, whatever...

kfr01 said:

You might be slightly confused about power. That sony only pushes 100w when pushed to its max. With reasonably efficient speakers it will rarely be pushing 30w unless you're "off the handle" with the volume control. In which case, you shouldn't be looking at building cubes.

I am definatly not a high volume freak I just want to be sure that I screw it up during the first movie that I watch. To say slightly confused is an understatement. Back in Highschool I was into the Car audio and understand crossovers, amplifiers, ported, sealed, and the enphasis on enclosure sizes. When it comes to home audio not much going on here. That would be how I came to find this website.

Thanks,
Jered22

jtbullet said:
hey guys, any idea on where to get a low priced low featured 5.1 amp?

The Panasonic SA-XR10 sounds exactly like what you want. Its a newer breed of digital amp receiver. Do a search on ebay and you'll find them in the $140 range plus S&H. Also search google and you'll see many reviews and other companies that sell them. Ultimately its best to listen to many before you buy but for that low price many people don't mind taking a chance on the sound they'll get. If your a newb then it will be a good start for a first HT setup.

Try these sites for more HT information

www.hometheaterforum.com
www.hometheaterspot.com
www.hometheatertalk.com

just to name a few

... I'm looking to make some small satelites...

I'm also looking to be building some home theater in a box type speakers... 2 drivers per cabinet I believe. Would there be problems with comb filtering at 4" c-c spacing anywhere under 15khz that’s significant enough to become a problem?

The speakers I am looking at in particular are the Hivi B3S (Was looking at this to start with) and now that I've ran across a wonderful comparison of some mini full range drivers (http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/minitest/) I'm thinking about the NS3 194 8E due to its increased efficiency... My only concern is the ~ ~3dB dip from 4-7khz ...... the peak centered at 3khz will disappear with the baffle I have designed for it and a new peak of about 2dB will center at about 1.5khz that will be eliminated via BSC... Since these will be mounted on the walls the 2dB of BSC should be enough?

The $10 price tag as well as somewhere about 105 dB transient response assuming ~4dB power compression with ~15W RMS signal with 80 W transients is what attracted me to this driver... f3 ~170hz or so as well and a reasonable qtc... in a 7x12x6 wxhxd box with 1" chamfers.

The B3S has simplicity going for it at the same price as well as a f3 ~90hz, however the qtc is high so there is a nice bass peak, the box is larger ~ 10x14x7 2" chamfer... output at low frequencies is about the same as the aura however I'd expect the B3S to have more punch.

For the front 2 channels I'll be going with a bass module as well as one for the rear center, as well as a subwoofer so the 170hz f3 for the aura is no big deal... I'm not sure what I'll be doing for the bass modules but ill post when I figure something out.

I would make my own thread however this was right at the top of the forum....

A reality check for any issues I may have missed as well as some advice for a bass module would be helpful.... Also how close would the bass module need to be to the satellite to appear to be coming from the same source assuming a 2nd order 200hz xover?

Re: ... I'm looking to make some small satelites...

AAXenoStrange said:
I'm also looking to be building some home theater in a box type speakers... 2 drivers per cabinet I believe. Would there be problems with comb filtering at 4" c-c spacing anywhere under 15khz that’s significant enough to become a problem?

I don't know if you saw the thread, but I posted a preliminary design for the B3S. Here it is. The best thing about this design is that it has adjustable baffle step compensation. I'm building this design right now. I just stained the cabinets using a funky dark bluish-green color called "Aegean".

I also created a design using the NS3-194. I did this to help out a few guys who bought the driver before my test results were available. That design is available here for a short time only:

home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/temp/AuraNS3-194-design.zip

This design has baffle step compensation but it is not adjustable because the notch circuit that controls BSC is also positioned to reduce the cliff in the response. This driver isn't nearly as good as the top three I listed in the minitest. If you haven't bought them already, I'd advise you not to. If my test results weren't enough, there was a guy on Madisound complaining that these sounded terrible.

Anyway, I normally stay out of threads where someone wants to clone Bose cubes. So for jtbullet, I say: :att'n: Learn what's good before you make a copy of what's bad. Thus ends my useful advice for this thread, and now I will disappear. :D

ps. kec, that's one of the best looking TB boxes I've seen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.