Looking for Tweeter w/ Low XO Point.. Tang Band?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, I'm looking for a tweeter to marry to an Extremis 6 in a small 2-way sealed box. I know and realize that the Extremis was designed to be pushed higher 3-4khz, but I don't want to push it that high. I'm looking for the lowest possible xo point w/o introducing excessive tweeter distortion or hurting power handling too much. Something ~2khz would be ideal.

I've been looking at this:
Tang Band 28-847SA Shielded Neodymium Dome Tweeter

Does anyone have any experience with this tweeter or have any suggestions of other nice tweeters with low recommended xo points?

$180 for a tweeter pair is the budget max for this project.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

kfr01 said:

That tweeter sucks. I have heard they sucked before but then I got a pair myself. Someone mailed me a pair, basically to get my opinion. Well extensively I tested them and reported my results back. Then he told me to not bother sending them back, so I threw them in the garbage. :eek:

My favorite low crossover tweeter is either the Seas 27TDFC or the 27TBFCG. (I'm undecided) In the 180/pair price range however, you can start looking at a Scan Speak 9500 or Usher 9950 although I don't know if these are worthy improvements over the Seas for that kind of money.

glad I decided to post

Well, I'm glad I decided to post instead of just going with it. Just out of curiousity, what was wrong with it?

Thanks for the Seas recommendation. Just looked at that spec sheet at Madisound. Looks like what I'm looking for. If anyone else is curious, here's a link to the specs Seas Tweeter

How does everyone feel about running some of the Morel tweets down at 2khz or so? Any other good tweeters that can be successfully run at low xo points?

Re: glad I decided to post

kfr01 said:
Well, I'm glad I decided to post instead of just going with it. Just out of curiousity, what was wrong with it?

The response curve was basically unusable anywhere below 4kHz. And both the linear and nonlinear distortion numbers were not that good.

I think that tweeter used to be $12. Given the price increases and the fact that the two tangband drivers that everyone wants can not be sold at PE, I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the line.

I am also pleased with my 847's but I crossed them 1st order at 6.5k to the TB W4-656. So basicly just helper tweeters for a full range. Guess I'm lucky I stumbled upon this post. I was thinking of replacing them with the new Dayton neo's and using the 847's with a pair of buyout infinity 7"s I picked up last year. Guess I'm tweeter hunting again.

I may still try replacing the 847's with the Daytons just for S&G.

Re: Re: Looking for Tweeter w/ Low XO Point.. Tang Band?

Zaph said:
My favorite low crossover tweeter is either the Seas 27TDFC or the 27TBFCG. (I'm undecided)

I'm *really* liking the 27TDFCs I'm playing with. Wasn't as happy with the TBFC in Paul's TM, but I think I have a preference for silk over metal. :) Of course, your MTMs kinda sold me on the TDFC.

I have a different T-B tweeter I used in my ultra budget HT speakers (it fit the space) and it's nowhere near the same league as the Seas stuff.

The Morels I've heard would put them in the list - the MDT39 has caught my eye. Probably the Usher drivers as well, if you don't want the Scans. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.