Dayton PT2B-8 planar tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this tweeter and how they feel it compares to other ribbon/planar tweeters? I know Aurum Cantus, Fountek, and a few others make nice ribbons, but how do these compare?

Also, if they're good why do you choose to go with a traditional dome tweeter over a planar?

Thanks!

I made some very good sounding two-way studio monitors with them. Allthough it's a bit tricky to make it sound well with a 2khz xo, I know now it's possible! So those who say it's not good to xo this planar at 2khz they're wrong.
Also, the dayton pt2 has been tested by Hobby-Hifi (german magazine), they recommended it from 2khz and up. The K2, K3 and K5 distortion were low enough from 2khz and up.

I never compared it to another ribbon but I also made a studio three-way speaker with the 25KE (keramic) tweeter from visaton. All I know is that I liked the planar more because it sounded more realistic to my ears.

I know Hivi did have a planar tweeter similar to the one dayton produces. But Hivi does have more versions of the rt2, they don't have the one that looked like the Dayton pt2 anymore.

The driver unit of most of these planars do look VERY similar.Harwood e.g. does have the same driver unit as the dayton it only has a different front.

See this link http://www.boxen-baustelle.de/ for more info about the dayton, Hivi and Harwood loudspeakers.

Harwood doesn't seem to have planar anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.