Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2004, 05:36 PM   #1
suprf1y is offline suprf1y  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Suppliers in southern Ontario?

I'm just getting back into the hobby. I managed to find a decent deal on some Peerless drivers, but was wondering if any good local suppliers with fair prices, or good surplus stuff opened up while I was out of it?
Old 25th November 2004, 06:04 PM   #2
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

the only place I know of in Ontario is Q-components in Waterloo. Unfortunately, they seem to have little interest in 'hifi' stuff. They do carry Audax, but I've heard that Audax is leaving the DIY market, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt replace it with anything. They do have lots of pro audio stuff, and pioneer, phillips, goldwood type drivers.

The reason I say they won't replace Audax with something like a Seas or D-S-T line, is because I was once in the store and asked them if they would ever consider carrying those lines, and the front desk person looked at me like I was from another planet. I also asked for the Xmax on some of their 12" drivers, and enquired as to why they don't publish Xmax in any of their specs. They told me it was irrelevant . That was about 5 years ago, since then I see they have added Xmax figures to many of the woofers in their catalog, guess it wasn't irrelevant afterall
Old 25th November 2004, 06:15 PM   #3
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

I know it is not southern ON but some CDN suppliers are www.solen.ca and www.creativesound.ca
Old 26th November 2004, 01:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The exchange rate isn't hurting madisounds pricing!
Old 26th November 2004, 01:44 AM   #5
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Don't forget Frank Sabian's shop, out in JamaciaTown area. The Canadian Loudspeaker Corp, (The Speaker Shop? Used to be 15xx Eglington, and is now just around the corner in the same area. Terrible hours! Hard to reach when they are open, unless you play hookey from work) or something like that, is the company. He's managed to come up with some very interesting knockoffs and other such drivers. Like Indian made Dynaudio-like knock-offs.

As and example, he came up with this TRIPLE magnet dual layered cone, phase plugged, Cast basket, OPEN basket, Kapton Former, 5.5" midbass that has a tremendous throw and fabulous specs. Cheap-*** too. Looks like a Audax/Focal out front and unlike anything else out the back. Might only be double magnet but still a great driver. Can't quite remember. Aluminum cone and sandwiched with a carbon/plastic mix of some sort. Good flare on the cone for resonanace/flex control...and also for matching with the aluminum machined phase plug. I have few lying about..but..I'd have to dig pretty deep to find them. I believe the resonance was a low 29hz or the like. They we like $75cdn when I bought them. Lotsa power handling too. Long coil, lotsa throw.
Old 26th November 2004, 02:55 AM   #6
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Try out Gervais Electronics...it's the same thing with Audax...no real interest in DIY "hi-fi". www.gervaiselectronics.ca

Very good service!
Old 26th November 2004, 03:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Audio Hardware on Oconor Drive in Toronto is a place I've been to - haven't been there in a while so not sure what they are like any more, but at least there is one more entry in the directory.

-ed

PS since when did Google start doing this: Audio Hardware Link from Google
Old 26th November 2004, 07:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Audio Hardware on Oconor Drive in Toronto
how long have they been around?
who owns it?
Old 28th November 2004, 04:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Audio Hardware has been around for quite a while 5-10 years I would guess. Their website is here: Audio Hardware Website

As I mentioned, they show up on google as well.
Old 29th November 2004, 07:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Q Components also carries Eminence products. Is that considered to be a low-quality line to you guys?

Their site (loudspeakers.ca) shows a handful of manufacturers which look mostly like OEM manufacturers.

What do you all think about the majority of the other products they carry? They're only about 10 mins away from my home, so I might be able to actually score some good product locally rather than paying all that cash on shipping...

Any commentary would be appreciated. I'm all about finding the highest quality at the lowest cost.

Chris

Check out FuzzMeasure for OSX - http://www.fuzzmeasure.com

Hide this!Advertise here!