how low to go for music? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2004, 07:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question how low to go for music?

I'm building a set of speakers primarly for music, and size is a big consideration, so I'm wondering how low I really need to get the speakers to go to be decent for music?

Opinions?
Old 26th November 2004, 01:32 AM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

As always that depends

It depends on what you are happy with, what sort of music you listen to, how much you want to spend, how big the boxes can be, whether you will have a separate subwoofer etc.....

Lowest piano note is 27.5Hz I'm sure that there are lower notes around from some orchestral instruments.... There is also the argument that to reproduce the sound faithfully there are harmonics even lower than the actual notes, so you should be able to reproduce those too.

I personally would want something with at least 35Hz as a -3db point, but the lower the better

Tony.
Old 26th November 2004, 08:36 AM   #3
saramac is offline saramac  United States
diyAudio Member

well, if you dont listen to organ's or some funky tampi drum music 40 hz with -3 in the high 30's should do you just fine. My main's are flat to 35hz and the addition of two very large subs did squat for music. H.T. is another matter however. Hope this helps.
Old 26th November 2004, 12:49 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi, go as low as budget allows.
I went from 15inch Tannoys to Acoustic Energy AE1s. Stereo was much improved, bass was adequate but it lost that authority the big speakers gave. The spec for both speakers at the lo end was very similar. But the peak output for the small speaker turned out to be much less and I think it was the peak ability of the Tannoy that gave that extra apparent grunt ( but still not bass dominant).
regards Andrew T.
Old 26th November 2004, 01:13 PM   #5
Mudge is offline Mudge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi, go as low as budget allows.
Well said
A quick flick through my CD collection will turn up some stuff with significant output in the low teens and others with nothing below 100Hz. I've also ventured round to a friend's place where his mains measure flat down to 17Hz in room (I trust his measurement) and some CDs sound totally different.
Old 26th November 2004, 04:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pbassred
Quote:
and others with nothing below 100Hz
This rings a bell. I have a producer friend who insists; "there is no MUSIC below 100Hz.
In popular music producers often pull it off in favour of increased power elsewhere. Commertial music is about being loudest. So its tonally distorted and compressed to hell. You don't notice the missing 100Hz on the radio. Its art not reality.

That's not to say your system should lack the capability of course.
Old 26th November 2004, 05:58 PM   #7
nuppe is offline nuppe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default No music under 100 Hz?

Pbassred:
As a bass player (from your nickname i guess you play Fender? I play Warwick) I'd be offended if someone told me there was no music under 100Hz, even if the one who said it was a friend

Seriously tho, about going low, if the object is to go low in a small box, maybe an assisted sub such as a Linkwitz transform or a Critical Q sub would do the trick? Both are active systems, so they are a bit more complex and costly than a standard system, but seem to be good ways to extend low bass response in small boxes. I haven't tried these myself but the idea appeals to me. Also, you will be trading efficiency for extension and the driver needs to be selected carefully, as it is going to be stressed a lot more than in an ordinary setup.

/Andreas
Old 27th November 2004, 06:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your replies. The music played will be mostly adult alternative and oldies, so I'm not planning on a really deep bass response. I have a design which is -3 around 38 Hz, which I'm assuming should be more than enough.

Thanks again.
Old 28th November 2004, 06:36 AM   #9
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

This really depends on the size of the room, since room gain can do wonderful things for small subwoofers. I have a sealed 10" sub in .6 cubic feet that had a -3db at 25hz in a room that was 11'x10'x8'.

So how big is your room? Divide 573 by the longest dimension (in feet) of your room to get the target -3db point for a sealed enclosure.

If you are more than 1/3 of an octave away from the -3db point... IMO, add a passive radiator. So if the largest dimension of your room is more than 20 feet, I would stronly consider adding a PR... but only if you are very concerned about low bass.

Dan
Old 28th November 2004, 05:56 PM   #10
Mudge is offline Mudge  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just to confirm the wonders of room gain, my friend uses Genelec HT210s, flush mounted into a baffle. The anechoic F2.5 is 42Hz

Hide this!Advertise here!