DIY speaker project - what drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm planning to build a 7.1 surround system, with seven small 2-way cabinets and a nice subwoofer. I remember there being some real nice 99c fullrange drivers and 49c tweeters on Parts Express that proved popular - but, not only do they appear to be unavailable, I happen to live in the uk. :(

The speakers are destined to be part of a computer sound system I'm building, and as such they need to be quite small. I remember the 99c drivers would work well with a volume equal to a coke can.. something like that would be handy.

Trapeziodal cabinets are most likely to be used (for the 'coolness' factor, and also to make them fit the space available), and 4mm MDF looks tasty. Again, it's all down to the drivers; finding something that performs well without breaking the bank..

For the subwoofer, I'm looking at a 'deep' rectangle, with the amplifiers (perhaps gainclones - do they come in smaller power handlings to suit the small drivers likely to be used here? any recommendations?) built into the back of the sub. an 8" driver is likely, but if something comes along at 10" that's worth the upgrade I might change that, and put the driver on the side. Enclosure will be sealed.

I'm currently sitting with the 'creative 7700' speaker set, and I've found the sound is way over the place - the imaging is crap, clarity dodgy and the sub is way too... boomy. A perfect candidate for a school Physics project :D

And... is all this likely to be neighbour-friendly? :bigeyes:

Thanks all :)

Look forward to hearing what you all think of this idea.

Karanael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.