Jamo D830 (Concert 8) crossover - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2010, 08:51 PM   #11
Lokker is offline Lokker  Belarus
diyAudio Member

Default Jamo D830 (Concert 8) crossover

Jamo D830 (Concert 8) crossover in attach
Attached Files
File Type: zip D_830_and_Concert_8.zip (389.7 KB, 381 views)
Old 14th February 2011, 07:48 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have D830 for a while, currently I am intrestead in making new serial crossover for these speakers.

Did anyone tried to make new crossover, it might save me a lot time
Old 25th April 2012, 02:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Sorry for bringing this out of the depths of hell but I too have recently acquired a d830 in mint condition and was wondering..

what is the main reason why a lot of people have been modifying the crossover on this speaker?

Is it a relatively easy process? Does anyone have a guide on how to mod d830's / concert 8's to perform their best as so many people have said?
Old 25th April 2012, 11:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

IMG_1827.JPG
Old 26th April 2012, 06:59 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bata bane View Post
I have D830 for a while, currently I am interested in making new serial crossover for these speakers.

Did anyone tried to make new crossover, it might save me a lot time
It's possible to do other things :

1. Go to a 12/12 modify the tweeter crossover :
Easy just by pass the 10uF.
Perhaps the 1ohms 4.7uF on the woofer should be removed.

2. Go to a 18/18 modify the woofer crossover (better option) :
Easy just insert between the networks (1ohms 4.7uF and 0.22mH 4.7uF) a 0.33mH inductor. And increase the 4.7uF to 22uF in the network (1ohms-4.7uF). The 1ohms could be removed.
The tweeter must be inverted. It will be in opposite polarity

Have Fun
Old 14th May 2012, 07:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Could someone write a small guide on how to modify the concert 8 / d830 bookshelves please. Starting with how to access the crossover panel please
Old 14th August 2013, 10:23 AM   #17
nandric is offline nandric  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Post Concert 8

Hi Dave, I am very curious to see your crossover upgrade. If I am well informed the original crossover is 2500 Hz. My intention is to improve only the caps with Janzen Z caps. Those are designed in Danmark but produced in Poland which explains their modest price. I assume that your intention with LR4 trap is to tame the magnesium membrane (very hard)by mid/bass driver. I can hear some distortions in the crossover area but have no idea if this is caused by the tweeter or the mid/bass driver. Anyway I would appreciate the desription of the (original) crossover parts.

Regards,
Nikola

QUOTE=dlr;1669793]I have the D830 I bought on sale to use the boxes and possibly the tweeter. However, with the exception of the limited bass extension, I found that I like the drivers once a good crossover was in place.

I've wanted to add a page to my site detailing the re-design, but have not had time. Some time over the next few days I'll see if I can do a quick-n-dirty page to show the original crossover and mine. It's roughly a 1900Hz LR4 with trap for the woofer breakup.

I also added some stuffing to the box in a trial-and-error method because I don't care for ported systems. The result is something of a highly damped ported system. I can't even say what the actual tuning is, I just worked on that until I liked the sound.

The woofers are the 4-ohm version, so my crossover won't work with the standard 8-ohm version.

Dave[/QUOTE]
Old 15th August 2013, 02:51 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I am a new member and posted my question (for Dave) two days ago while I have no idea how long moderators approval takes. My question was if someone can describe the crossover components by Concerto 8. I am in particular interested in the caps values because I intend to upgrade with Jantzen superior Z caps.

Regards,
Nikola
Old 20th August 2013, 10:23 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Jamo Concert 8 crossover,

I was not able to find any usable info about the crossover and even posted my
questions on Audiogon ''speaker forum'' without, alas, any reaction. So I decided to
see for myself and opened the speaker by removing the mid/bass driver. I was surprised to see an huge crossover plate fastened to the (bi-wire) connectors from inside. As far as I know the parts in the crossover suggest 4th order (24 dB ) for both drivers. The crossover ''plate'' is loaded with high grade parts so I abandoned my inicial idea to substitute the caps with Jantzen superior Z caps. Those are are about 10 x larger in comparison and would be very difficult to solder in place where the old one are. To my mind the crossover as is , is to complex to mess with. For the
brave among us I think the the only way to pull the crossover out is to unscrew the
connectors form outside , disconnect the wire from the drivers , and then pull the
crossover out.
Old 25th August 2013, 02:44 PM   #20
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandric View Post
Jamo Concert 8 crossover,

I was not able to find any usable info about the crossover and even posted my
questions on Audiogon ''speaker forum'' without, alas, any reaction. So I decided to
see for myself and opened the speaker by removing the mid/bass driver. I was surprised to see an huge crossover plate fastened to the (bi-wire) connectors from inside. As far as I know the parts in the crossover suggest 4th order (24 dB ) for both drivers. The crossover ''plate'' is loaded with high grade parts so I abandoned my inicial idea to substitute the caps with Jantzen superior Z caps. Those are are about 10 x larger in comparison and would be very difficult to solder in place where the old one are. To my mind the crossover as is , is to complex to mess with. For the
brave among us I think the the only way to pull the crossover out is to unscrew the
connectors form outside , disconnect the wire from the drivers , and then pull the
crossover out.
Hi Nikola,

I just came across your posts. I never went further with the design, too busy with other things to build new crossovers. My testing was all done using the Digital Filter in SoundEasy to audition designs. The system has been put aside for a long time now. One of the reasons is that I did not consider the bass to be good enough to want to finalize them. If they were used with a sub-woofer matched with them, then that would be different, but I never had plans to do that. My other systems are better for full-range, so they went to the storage shelf where they are today.

What else I can recall is my impression that the midwoofer breakup was very difficult to handle. I was never fully satisfied, even with the breakup farther down in level than the OEM crossover placed it. It was improved, but still had a rough edge to the sound that I believe was associated with the breakup.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!