Sensitivity vs Impedance Plots?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This question is related to a horn but I think it applies to all speakers.

At the low cutoff of my horn the FR plot shows a peak in response, however, the impedance spikes at this same point. What is the real outcome of this? Does the peak in response actually get negated because the amplifier can't deliver the same power due to the increase impedance?

Is the peak at/around driver FS?

Impedance will rise as the frequency approches FS, where it is most resistive.

I'm not a horn guy, but the driver's increased efficiency at FS, coupled with the horn must have something to do with your spike in SPL. Typically you won't see that in any boxed alignment.

BillFitzmaurice said:
The impedance spike is normal at the horn fc; it's one way of knowing where the fc is. It has nothing to do with the driver fs per se. There will also be a peak at the rear chamber fb, unless the horn is perfectly reactance annulled, in which case the fb and fc are identical and there is only one peak.

I understand it has nothing to do with Fs. HornRESP calls it electrical impedance and it goes up to about 20 ohms at the 40hz spike with my low impedance wiring scheme. This is a concern to me because I use one of Decware's amps that prefers low impedance and won't put out even 1 watt per channel into a 20 ohm load. Does that mean my response will drop off severely right at 40hz ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.