Sensitivity vs Impedance Plots? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2004, 02:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Default Sensitivity vs Impedance Plots?

This question is related to a horn but I think it applies to all speakers.

At the low cutoff of my horn the FR plot shows a peak in response, however, the impedance spikes at this same point. What is the real outcome of this? Does the peak in response actually get negated because the amplifier can't deliver the same power due to the increase impedance?
Old 23rd November 2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Lusso5 is offline Lusso5  United States
diyAudio Member

Is the peak at/around driver FS?

Impedance will rise as the frequency approches FS, where it is most resistive.

I'm not a horn guy, but the driver's increased efficiency at FS, coupled with the horn must have something to do with your spike in SPL. Typically you won't see that in any boxed alignment.
Old 24th November 2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Banned

The impedance spike is normal at the horn fc; it's one way of knowing where the fc is. It has nothing to do with the driver fs per se. There will also be a peak at the rear chamber fb, unless the horn is perfectly reactance annulled, in which case the fb and fc are identical and there is only one peak.
Old 24th November 2004, 12:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by BillFitzmaurice
The impedance spike is normal at the horn fc; it's one way of knowing where the fc is. It has nothing to do with the driver fs per se. There will also be a peak at the rear chamber fb, unless the horn is perfectly reactance annulled, in which case the fb and fc are identical and there is only one peak.
I understand it has nothing to do with Fs. HornRESP calls it electrical impedance and it goes up to about 20 ohms at the 40hz spike with my low impedance wiring scheme. This is a concern to me because I use one of Decware's amps that prefers low impedance and won't put out even 1 watt per channel into a 20 ohm load. Does that mean my response will drop off severely right at 40hz ?
Old 24th November 2004, 01:11 AM   #5
Banned

The amp will be just fine. The spike also coincides with where the system operates most efficiently. Reponse will fall off below fc at 12dB/octave from the horn component, and another 12dB per octave kicks in below fb of the rear chamber.
Old 24th November 2004, 01:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I guess I did it right. Only 1 spike in impedance and the rolloff below 40hz looks more like 24db per octave. Thanks for the help.

Hide this!Advertise here!