diyAudio (
-   Multi-Way (
-   -   Building in-wall speaker system (

soundNERD 21st November 2004 11:09 PM

Building in-wall speaker system
I am putting a home theater room into my house, and want to build the speakers into the wall. I was looking through the parts express catalog, and saw the following. Would they work well together?

I'm going to start with the fronts speakers first. I plan to use this tweeter:

this midrange/woofer:

and this woofer/subwoofer:

Would this produce hi end sound? This is my first attempt at a very good quality set of speakers, so I don't know if I may be making a mistake in the selection of drivers.

And, what size box should I build?

Finally, does anybody know of good, free speaker design software that would allow me to put in the info and tell me what size box to use and a graph showing the freq. response?


soundNERD 21st November 2004 11:11 PM

would this be a better choice of the woofer as it isn't a paper cone?

paulhfx 22nd November 2004 06:46 AM

Stop there. Do some serious research on speaker design, including crossovers before you buy anything.


cjd 22nd November 2004 04:48 PM


Originally posted by paulhfx
Stop there. Do some serious research on speaker design, including crossovers before you buy anything.


What he said. Unless you're going digital where you can tweak till you're blue in the face, just picking drivers and running isn't the way to go.

That said, I would look at the Dayton RS series drivers with that "tweeter" - perhaps the 8". And you may need to add on the top end as well - depends on your ears. The closer to the minimum/maximum recommended range of the drivers you go, the steeper the topology you'll need. But, this really isn't a first project. Probably not a second project.


soundNERD 22nd November 2004 10:30 PM

Thanks for the responces.

What books do you guys reccomend I read on speaker design?

and, what kind of tweeters and woofers are the best type?

johninCR 22nd November 2004 10:45 PM

There are drivers that are specifically designed for in wall use which don't need a box. If I was doing it I'd come up with something a little more original than the grills they use. I don't like that almost stealthy look of the white grill covers. For built in I'd say go with an infinite baffle sub too.

soundNERD 24th November 2004 09:02 PM

I'd rather not use in-wall speakers.

Can anybody suggest the drivers I should use in this project?

cjd 24th November 2004 10:02 PM


Originally posted by soundNERD
Can anybody suggest the drivers I should use in this project?
Should use? No.

What's your budget, what're your requirements... we can pick stuff that fits, but that only barely gets you going on things. And everyone is going to have a different opinion on what way might be the best way to go.

In wall means you don't have baffle step to deal with. If you don't build boxes and mount them in-wall, you're looking for drivers that meet your needs in a sealed box.

Beyond that, the first couple questions will drive the rest of suggestions.

And that gets you only to the point of having to design a crossover.


soundNERD 24th November 2004 10:32 PM

I am going to build boxes into the wall.

I want something resonably priced, but I don't want to go cheap on it. I'd rather pay more and get better stuff.

Another option is I have a pair of B&W 2-way speakers with an 8" woofer and a 1.5" ?? tweeter. Would I be better off just using those?

Thanks again!

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2