Esoteric grille fastening system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a neat way to fasten grilles to a pair of cabinets I 'm working on. What is the most esoteric fastening system you have seen or used aside from velcro, cheap plastic Head-locks or hidden magnets.

The actual grilles are not built yet so it is possible to design and build them around the fastening system.

thx...Christof

Please excuse my ignorance, but perhaps you might explain your definition of "esoteric."

If you want to keep people from removing the grills easily, a setscrew locking the grill to a fixed pin on the baffle will work.

I like the "head lock" type, and would be interested in finding a source for really nice ones, but I _like_ the idea of easily removable grills.

A little more detail:

I'm building grilles to fit on a very nice pair of modern looking Quilted Moabi cabinets which will house a 4-way design w/ Seas Excel drivers. The cabs are already veneered so magnets are out of the question. The grilles must be removable but I'm trying to find a very unique way of attaching them. I've considered using copper mesh as the grilles with rubber grommets embedded in the mesh. The grommets could fit over copper studs which stick out a given distance from the front of the enclosure. I'm after something completely different. I do not want to use black cloth grilles on wooden frames with plastic head-locks....too plain for these cabs. Any ideas?

thx...christof

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I'll have to think about the material. About the only thing that comes to mind is window screening, either fabric or aluminum.

I have seen fabric window screening that was made of clear strands, not black.

Of course, it would require an attractive, decorative frame.

That might be more transparent than you had in mind.

What about this?

My idea would be to use something like 1/4 or 3/8" polished copper rod for the top and bottom "rails". The grill could be made so that the ends "snap" over the rods to hold them in place.

I've attached a couple of pics to give you an idea. They were quick and sloppy using paint but I think you'll get the idea...

I would stand the rods off of the baffle about an inch. I'd also make the bends using a large radius so they'd look cool. I'd make the grill area small so in sits inside the bends (my drawing doesn't show this very well...)

You could even go as far as to make so very interesting asthetic grills that would be removed for serious listening but could look really cool the rest of the time... (I'm thinking of a copper mesh that is woven so that it has 1/4" squares as the openings. You could make them out of copper welding rod or something like that... Anyway, if done well, they would look really cool (I think)...

I would also run a small bead of clear silicone along the tops of the "rods" so that the metal grills wouldn't rattle against the rods from the bass. Let the silicone dry completely before putting on the grills and it would create a cushion that would dampen any rattling...

Also, you'd have to make the grills snap on really tightly (for obvious reasons)...

Another alternative would be to use the rods as rails and create a metal frame using more of the same large rods that would fit within the rails. This "frame" would use attachments similar to what I've described. You could then do whatever design you wanted within the frame... It would have the advantage of being very strong and could be made to snap into place firmly.

Attachments

• grill idea.jpg
    grill idea.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 166
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
A couple of more ideas.

A) If you go for the screening idea, I would consider making a mold of wood or whatever, oiling or waxing the mold so nothing will stick to it, attaching the screening with thumbtacks or whatever, then spraying some kind of glue or stiffener on the screening to make it a solid shape that will require little or no framing. Of course, it can also be spray painted.

B) I don't know if they have them over there, but here in America they have this semi-transparent material that they make "sheer curtains" out of. These curtains are used on windows to let in most of the light, but to prevent others from seeing inside the house. Should be dyeable to any color. Again,the same thing can apply about making a mold and spraying a stifferener on the fabric. Heck, the stiffener might even be starch-who knows?

Thanks for all the great ideas. I mentioned a semi-transparent material but it would also be fair to use a solid material. I went so far as to consider Coreten weathered steel. I will never lesten to these with the grilles on. The grilles have double utility, to protect the drivers and to add an aesthetic appeal. The latter is too often overlooked. Maybe this has become an exercise futility but I think we are opening doors for new ideas for everyone and demonstrating that it's ok to experiment a little. Below is a pic of the same design. I built this speaker for a client using traditional grilles. I should also note that there is a side firing 12" XLS which should also have the same grille.

Well the pic file is too big so you'll have to go here to see the enclosure I'm talking about:
http://www.selahaudio.com/id13.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.