Hawaii 5.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I lost the plans on another computer but heres the t/s on the 40-1354. It was merely a bottom vented bookshelf design that was apparantly nice but didnt fully take advantage of the drivers LF ability. Bob Brines TWQT/ML designs are a better bet. But if you want a smaller enclosure, plug the t/s into winISD or similar.

amt

Attachments

• 40-1354ts.jpg
    40-1354ts.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,549
Kofi Annan said:
I've heard good things about the Hawaii 5.0 and I have a set of RS 40-1197s that I'd like to do something with as soon as Dave's (Planet 10's) phase plugs arrive.

I can't seem to find the plans for the Hawaii 5.0. Would anyone be kind enough to post them?

Thanks,
Kofi

As mentioned, the Five-O is for the 40-1354. For interest sake, here is a link:

http://www.myhifisite.50megs.com/hawaii.html

The Solo103 looks like a nice bookshelf project. Along the lines of a bookshelf you can consider the Fostex BR enclosure for the FE103.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/103e_encl.pdf

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Regards,
GM.

GM

Joined 2003
>Any ideas for a bookshelf / voigt pipe (non-dipole) with the 1197s?
====
Folks seemed to like the folded Voigt pipes loaded with DD's tweaked 40-1197s I slapped together for something to bring to the Atlanta DIY Meet a couple of weeks ago. They were designed around stock board widths to keep cutting to a minimum, with external dims of ~24"h x 10.75"w x 7.25"d.
====
>How about these? Anyone had any experience with these?
====
I imagine the 40-1197 would work in them, but won't have the extension/gain of a long pipe.

GM

GM--

I was at the DIY Atlanta meet and saw your 1197s there. I was very impressed with the sound you got out of them.

If you ever decide to post the design for those, please let me know. I am nothing more than an amateur at this with very little experience, but I have been learning by doing and your speakers would certainly be worth doing.

I understand that posting the plans is easy for me to request and hard for you to do, so if I were going to try and design my own, where would be the best place for me to learn about a basic design?

I know about Speaker Workshop, but I don't think that it does MLTLs. Also, I read somewhere that Martin King removed the MathCad worksheets from his site, but I've just been over there and it looks like they're still available. I'll download those and try my hand.

Any other ideas on these? Jeez, sorry for all the questions!

Kofi

>I was at the DIY Atlanta meet and saw your 1197s there. I was very impressed with the sound you got out of them.
====
Thanks! Did we talk? Kofi Annan certainly wasn't there, so who are you?
====
>If you ever decide to post the design for those, please let me know. I am nothing more than an amateur at this with very little experience, but I have been learning by doing and your speakers would certainly be worth doing. I understand that posting the plans is easy for me to request and hard for you to do.........
====
I don't have any drawings, just some notes, though DD said he would make one (and I assume either post it on his site or sell it for a modest donation to help defray his site costs, his choice), I just haven't gotten around to sending him the info yet.

I tried to sell them cheap + what DD wanted for the drivers to everyone who showed an interest just to get rid of them and not have to ship the drivers back to Canada, but no one was interested. At the end of the Meet though, Woody and I worked a deal and I'm now the proud owner of some RCA Red Seal vinyl albums, so I'm a Happy Camper!
====
>.......so if I were going to try and design my own, where would be the best place for me to learn about a basic design?
====
Well, you can build proven designs to hear/measure how they compare to their sims and change them to learn what does what and eventually you will see patterns that will help you calc a good first approximation to fine tune, or you can do it right and learn the basics of speaker driver, T/S, and pipe theory, as well as everything on MJK's site to help understand how to apply it to best effect. Earl Geddes claims his book covers everything you need to know, but is very math intensive AFAIK...........

Since higher math is an indecipherable language to me, I had to learn by doing, though conversations with folks like Marshal Leach, Altec and many other mechanical and fluid dynamics, etc., engineers helped me to better understand the wealth of knowledge I had collected, but didn't always understand their underlying physics.
====
>I know about Speaker Workshop, but I don't think that it does MLTLs.
====
AFAIK, only MJK's WSs can do them.

GM

Thanks for all the responses.

Did we talk? Kofi Annan certainly wasn't there, so who are you?

Kofi Annan was there, alright. He was disguised as an average height, mid 30-ish white male with wife in tow donning a flannel shirt with a rip in the right elbow. He hung around mostly with the person you know as "Woody", but who is really Silvio Berlusconi in an equally clever disguise.

Perhaps I've said too much.

Anyway, I've been messing with Martin King's TQWT MathCad program and its really, really interesting. Being a total amateur, all I really know is that I want to get as flat an SPL response as possible, right? [Please respond with mockery, as necessary]

So, I searched on the Full Range Driver forums and found the t/s (love using the lingo-- makes me feel like a badarse) parameters for the 40-1197s. I've been reviewing the resulting graphs and I have some questions.

Questions? Me?

Attached is a copy of the graph entitled Far Field Transmission Line System and Infinite Baffle Sound Pressure Level Responses. I'm assuming this is the SPL for the entire system, not just the driver.

Based on a comparison of this graph to the "ideal" one posted on MJK's site, it looks pretty flat above 100Hz, but I have some problems below that.

Am I reading this right? Are there other graphs that a total amateur like me should consider?

I really don't know what I'm doing, so any help would be much appreciated. I am continuing to read the information on MJK's wonderful site, but a shove in the right direction would be well received.

You have every reason to come down on me for not knowing nuthin', but if during the course of your admonishment you could offer some helpful advice for the learning challenged, then I promise that you will all be in line for cushy government positions in any new country created from the turmoil of a military coup.

Thanks,
Kofi

Attachments

• 1197.jpg
    1197.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,573
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks like you are tuning the "restricted terminus" too low.

I've sent GM a sketch to fill in the blanks, and i'll post the drawing of his design here (and put it on my website, since it is on-topic) -- actually i could probably start a whole section of GM designs :) -- his helpful nature has spawned many useful designs for the community.

dave

Looks like you are tuning the "restricted terminus" too low.[/B[

Not again! (Kidding, of course)

I would really love it if you got the design for GM's MLTL posted on the web. I enjoyed listening to those quite a bit at the Atlanta DIY event.

By the way, I got your phase plugs in the mail on Saturday. I ran up to a friend's house to install them in the FE103 backhorns (loaded with the 1197s) that I made for him a few months ago. I Have a hard time expelling the technical jargon, but they really made the 1197s sound very present and it sounds like the high-end distortion is completely gone now.

I used a hair dryer to apply heat to the dust cap and it came off pretty easily, with a bit of delicate prying. Also, I "damar-ed" the cones and added modeling clay to the frame.

Thanks for sending those plugs so quickly-- they're fantastic. Once I get my hands on the GM design, I'll make a set of them and upload some photos.

Thanks,
Kofi

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GM said:
Folks seemed to like the folded Voigt pipes loaded with DD's tweaked 40-1197s I slapped together for something to bring to the Atlanta DIY Meet a couple of weeks ago.

1st the picture...

spk_7198a.jpg

Note that it is upside down in this pic from http://www.patcave.com/diy2k4.html

And the drawing is attached. I'll be gathering the comments i've received & the pics together into a webpage on my site.

dave

Attachments

• gm-ml-voigt-lite.gif
    gm-ml-voigt-lite.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,370
Thanks for posting the design! I'll get busy on these tomorrow.

can i quote you on my website?

Of course! You can either use my real name (Kofi Annan), or the name of my secret identity, as sent to you in my many E-mail inquiries on Canadian emigration.

Thanks to Dave and GM for all they do for the DIY Audio community!

Kofi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.