Quad Tang-Band drivers for center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a set of Logitech Z-560 speakers blow up on me a while back, and the nice satellite speakers have just been sitting in a box collecting dust since then. They are model # W3-665SC, but are visually identical to W3-594S. I am wondering, would it be a good idea to put all 4 drivers together to make a center channel speaker? They seem to have a reasonably flat response, and have the same sensitivity as my current speakers (Peerless CSX bookshelf).

A better option for a center channel is to use 5 and wire them as a bessel array for dispersion like a single speaker. Any time you start putting multiple drivers together, it affect dispersion. For a center channel it affects horizontal dispersion, something you don't want.

I don't think 5 would work because you see I only have 4 speakers to work with. I am a poor student and have just spent all my money on my Peerless bookshelf speakers that are almost complete, so I don't have any money to throw around to buy another speaker.

The 3 way design could work. I had thought of using all 4 just because each speaker only handles 15W so 4 of them could handle 60W so that way there is no chance of my reciever blowing them up. Cross them over at around 3kHz or so I presume? I think it might also be wise to put a high pass filter on the speaker to filter out anything below about 100Hz so they aren't pushing themselves to the excursion limit with high volume.

Does this sound about right?

I'd go without a center channel then. Hopefully on your receiver you can turn the center off and the mains will get all the center channel info. Then use the TB's to make some dipole surrounds.

Regarding the highpass filters, your receiver should do that for you. It's the "small" setting for the speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.