filler-driver crossovers--a question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2004, 03:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default filler-driver crossovers--a question

Hi all,

I recently read John Kreskovsky's interesting article about transient-perfect filler driver crossovers. If I understand correctly, he's crossing the high and low with 2nd-order Linkwitz-Riley slopes IN PHASE so there's a deep cancellation. Then he's filling in the cancellation with a filler driver with a narrow passband and 1st-order slopes.

Ok, so I got wondering if there would be any merit to using my 2-way pro audio electronic XO in a similar way. I would reverse the phase of one side, which would create a null between the bass and treble, then I'd cross in a filler driver passively with a series cap and coil.

The only catch is that my electronic XO has *4th-order* L/R slopes.

So I guess my question is how would the end result of the filler driver concept be different using 4th-order slopes on the bass/treble?
Old 18th November 2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Bill F. is offline Bill F.  United States
diyAudio Member

*Bump*

I'm curious about this, too. Anyone?
Old 18th November 2004, 04:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As I recall, it was B&O that tried this about 30 years ago. I guess it looked good on paper but it didn't fly.
Old 19th November 2004, 12:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It seems to me that whatever the slopes of the high and low, they will be phase coherent since they're mirror image. But specifically I'm wondering what FR probs 24dB slopes might have compared to 12db slopes. I expect there may be some ripple? Can anyone sim this?
Old 19th November 2004, 04:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mixing higher filter orders like this may give some narrowband notches and peaks that may detract from the listening experience.

I'm doing something a little similar with a 2 1/2 way system I designed using three 2226J woofers in a vertical array where the top one handles most of the signal from 300hz-700hz before crossing over to the HF unit (all quasi first order). Even though there's no significant response anomaly on the HF horn axis, the single source of the band limited information can occasionally call attention to itself a bit as you move up and down vertically due to differences in off axis radiation patterns at different frequencies.

Hide this!Advertise here!