filler-driver crossovers--a question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently read John Kreskovsky's interesting article about transient-perfect filler driver crossovers. If I understand correctly, he's crossing the high and low with 2nd-order Linkwitz-Riley slopes IN PHASE so there's a deep cancellation. Then he's filling in the cancellation with a filler driver with a narrow passband and 1st-order slopes.

Ok, so I got wondering if there would be any merit to using my 2-way pro audio electronic XO in a similar way. I would reverse the phase of one side, which would create a null between the bass and treble, then I'd cross in a filler driver passively with a series cap and coil.

The only catch is that my electronic XO has *4th-order* L/R slopes.

So I guess my question is how would the end result of the filler driver concept be different using 4th-order slopes on the bass/treble?

Mixing higher filter orders like this may give some narrowband notches and peaks that may detract from the listening experience.

I'm doing something a little similar with a 2 1/2 way system I designed using three 2226J woofers in a vertical array where the top one handles most of the signal from 300hz-700hz before crossing over to the HF unit (all quasi first order). Even though there's no significant response anomaly on the HF horn axis, the single source of the band limited information can occasionally call attention to itself a bit as you move up and down vertically due to differences in off axis radiation patterns at different frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.