SET Friendly Bookshelf - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2004, 07:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SET Friendly Bookshelf

I'm looking for a bookshelf or monitor that will work in a 11x10ft room. I'd like to use my Ladyday 300Bs. I'd also like the performance to be comparable to high end monitors and bookshelfs and still be within a reasonable cost and easy to build. Preferably, i'd like a kit.
Old 15th November 2004, 08:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What you described is what everyone would like but it goes contrary to the laws of physics. In order to make full-range bookshelf (small) speakers the designers accepted the accompanying huge loss of efficiency. The high power, low cost per watt solid state amps came to the rescue. Whether the result was hi-fi is debatable. To get high efficiency and low frequencies to run on just a few watts from a valve SET amp (because you are obviously after hi-fi) you cannot fool physics, the cabinet has to be comparable in size to the wavelengths of the sound. That means big cabinet.
Old 15th November 2004, 10:40 AM   #3
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Maybe one of the Adire kits?
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/HE10-1Plans.PDF
Old 16th November 2004, 03:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do my options open up if have the efficiency as low as 89-90dB?
Old 16th November 2004, 03:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Stuart Easson Send a message via Yahoo to Stuart Easson
Default try the he series from Adire...

Hi,

Joensd is quite right, I have a pair of the he10 and 2 pairs of the he8 kits from adire, they are very neutral sounding, quite dynamic and very efficient. The crossover is impedance compensated, so they sound great with SET, Zen and other highish impedance amps. The horn loaded tweeter has just been upgraded, I've not heard them yet, but since the price is the same, it's kind of hard to argue with any improvement. Since the plans, schematics and bare drivers are available you can use crossover components and cabinets of any quality that takes your fancy, though the components in the kit are pretty good.

A nice side effect of using semi-pro drivers, the woofer has a thermal rating in excess of 250w, so there is almost no thermal compression at 'normal', ie sane, listening levels. Basically I've never heard or measured better speakers for the price, especially given the high efficiency requirement.

Have fun,

Stuart

Hide this!Advertise here!