RS125 + heil ess sounds pretty good for now - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2004, 01:29 AM   #1
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RS125 + heil ess sounds pretty good for now

I just received a pair of Dayton RS125 today and threw it in a temp. 3L box and my smaller Heil tweeter sitting on top.

The dayton is set at 110-2400hz 18dB/oct
the heil tweeter plays from 3200hz 18dB/oct

So far, i think the combo works out nicely, I had to pad down the heil tweeter a whole lot though. The dayton is small in size but fairly punchy in its enclosure. Midrange is not as detailed as I expected though, especially at higher volume. The cone breaks up somewhere, I might have to lowpass it a bit lower. I feel that its a tad low on sensitivity as well. But what can you expect from a $22 driver. The heil is, of course, transparent from about 3khz and up, below that, it doesnt sound natural and has the "shrill" sound in it.

This is getting repetitive, but I agree with almost everyone else that the Dayton RS125 is an exceptional value for the money. I gotta break it in more though.

There's my newbie short review/praise for the Dayton RS mid.
Old 13th November 2004, 02:39 AM   #2
JohnL is offline JohnL  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input, I'm gonna need to put together some rear channels for my living room system, and there's a pair of those small Heils sitting at the post office for me to pick up tomorrow.

I'm even more interested because the front channels in the living room have Great Heils with 2 RS-225s underneath. The crossover isn't quite done, but they sound VERY good. I love the Heil sound, I've heard a lot of stuff that costs a lot more, but it just doesn't move me like the AMTs.

Keep us up on your progress, I think I'll do something very close for my rears. Also, I'm using a 4th order elec at 1200 on the LP for the RSs, you might try a higher order xover.

John
Old 14th November 2004, 12:27 AM   #3
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

No problem John

Today after listening to the combo for awhile, I decided to highpass the RS125 a bit lower. Wow, the driver is capable of producing accurate midbass. I was thinking of making a 3 way set up out of this. But, I'm seriously considering a MTM with the 7" or 8" drivers now.
What are the crossover points on ur MTM??
I haven't mess around with BSC yet, but I'm thinking these new RS drivers will do very well on the bottom end.

Hmm...project MTM over this winter break

BTW, listening to mp3s with this setup makes me realize how bad the compression really is. The mid and tweet are really that revealing.
Old 15th November 2004, 05:46 PM   #4
JohnL is offline JohnL  United States
diyAudio Member

My crossover is at 1200 24db/octave, and the configuration is TMM. Due to the cabinet shape and far placement from the wall, baffle step is about 5db which is a pain. But they still sound good. Got my other tweets this weekend, a set of tempest AMTs and a set of concepts (uses the big diaphram, but only has a front V of magnets). Ughh.. I have so much wood to cut...

Hide this!Advertise here!