why no seperate horn forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think a separate horn forum wouldn't be a bad idea. Myself, I've reluctantly moved away from low and low-mid frequency horns, primarily due to space considerations and time alignment issues. As soon as you begin folding horns (to save space), you give up accurate system transient response, unless you resort to digital time delay compensation, which sonic deterioration I also do not want. I find that a carefully implemented low Fb (~25hz) bass reflex with passive boost and lots of cone area (3-15's per side) gives me enough bass performance to suit me for indoor applications with better extension than all but what a monster bass horn subwoofer can provide, and with only a few db less efficiency than the horn can manage, using less than 4 sq ft of floor area per channel. Plus, having the woofer acoustic centers offset a foot or so in front of the mid/high compression driver's was useful in minimizing system group delay variations below 500 hz with the passive xover I designed. I didn't really suffer the usual driver cost penalty by going the multiple woofer approach in this case as I had a bunch of spare JBL 2226J's out of 4648 bass cabinets I got dirt cheap from JBL's E-Tent sale last year;)

:)

Attachments

• wide-range.jpg
    wide-range.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 114
I have started an actual Formal Petition to the Modrators

Please post your vote of support on the Petition I have started. This thread hasn't succeeded in getting a Horn Loudspeaker Forum established.

Go here for the petition thread. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45951

For those of you who have already expressed your wishes here, I suspect it would be helpful if you would also post to the petition or simply copy your posts from here to there. Thank You.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.