build or buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
of late atleast 2 of my friends have been looking at trying to build speakers. knowing the frustrations and learning curve involved I tried to talk them into buying instead.

Now before the whole DIY community flames me, trust me you dont want these 2 near a soldering iron or table saw. neither of them can change a flat tyre. one of them (when he got a flat) did not know where the flat tyre was. eventually I had to drive down to where ehe was and help him in the interest of saving time and both our sanities.

anyway, back to the topic. Their requests got me thinking.

Their budget about $300-350 per pair. My recomendations in that price band were the Epos ELS-3, Polk RTi4, B&W 303, and Klipsch RB15.

now if they were to DIY...what about 2 JX92s ($270 /pr) in a 10-20 liter box. how would that compare with the above commercial desings. It would not require any XO design (save a baffle step filter) and the cabinets could be simple sealed boxes.

any opinions? or would someone recomend a 2 way design (driver cost $250 per pair).

thanks for the suggestions but .....i was suggesting the 167 (Bob Brines version) over the weekend and they balked. they are looking at something a lot smaller (like the B&W 303, Polk RT4 etc.. mentioned earlier).

In both cases the speaker would either be placed on bookshelves or on small platforms that are embedded in the wall. so it safe to say that the speakers will get rear wall reinforcement. I was looking at either the Jordan JX92 or a cheaper version of the A4 monitor (a la audiocomponents.nl).

The rooms are 15x14x8.5 ft and 16x12.5x9ft respectively.

so floor standers are out.

And yes it might end up that I do ALL the work. I am toying with the idea of letting them pay for it and doing the work as a christmas present but then I dont think they will learn much or for that matter appreciate the labour.

any other options?

similar friends, similar problem

I have had a couple of friends in the same category. I found it easier to let them hear a bunch of comercial bookshelves before even thinking about DIY. This way you get an idea of what they are really looking for. Also for the money the Acoustic energy Aegis One's are some of the Best commercial speakers I have ever heard in there price range. They have been replaced with a new model but can be found occasionaly on E-Bay.

Good Luck

I have B&W 602s, got for $400, You can usually bargain a little at the shops that sell their speakers. The 600 series I think is a few nice qualities to them over the 300 series.

Do they really enjoy audio enough to knowtice the big differences between diy and factory?

Although I love B&W, I think they will enjoy the speakers they built more, not only the good sound quality but that they made the speakers themselves.

(When I was searching for speakers I choose the B&Ws of some expensive Polks ($700) and over Klipsch because I think Klipsch's tweeter is a little tinny)

Re: similar friends, similar problem

tktran said:
let them buy their speakers, DM303 or RT4.
then build yourself a pair that costs the exact same money. and let them hear the difference.next time they'll WANT to build their own. get them off their butts.
:)

oh this discussion orginated from those roots. they heard a few pairs of nice speakers and then they heard my WW MTM (ACI, ScanSpeak) the rest as they say is history.

I plan to build me 5 JX92 based sats. My fear is that after I build my sats and recomend them B&W, Polk, whatever they might get mad at me for not building them a few pairs too esp if they prefer the sound of my JX92 over the 303, RT4, whatever.

BTW I get a side benefit out fo this too. If I import their drivers along with mine the shipping cost and the duties (which are on CIF value) get amortised.

cmckasty said:
Also for the money the Acoustic energy Aegis One's are some of the Best commercial speakers I have ever heard in there price range. They have been replaced with a new model

thanks for the Aegis recomend. i heard them in london some time back and liked them too. aren't these the ones with white woofer cones? Is not the new model any better?

edjosh23 said:
I have B&W 602s, got for $400. The 600 series I think is a few nice qualities to them over the 300 series.Do they really enjoy audio enough to knowtice the big differences between diy and factory?

I found the 603S2 a bit bright. I have not heard the 602 as the dealer did not have them. it could be electronics, room, whatever. i have heard many good reviews of the B&W to be influnced by one listen. BTW at that time we were comparing the B&W to the Vandersteen 1B and Dynaudio 52.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.