10liter... 2way... help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fist off, I must say how incredible it is to find such a website... Kudos to the creator as well as all of you who make it such a treasure chest of information and advice...

Here goes:

I have a few pairs of 10liter cabinets. (12" tall x 8" wide x 12" deep)

(i understand that it is optimlmal to build a box around a set of drivers, but do to the sentimental nature of the cabinets... they will not be destroyed...)

The cabinets are solid at 1+ inches thick and are ready to accept a rear port tube.

I would like to use the scanspeak 2905/9700 tweeter.

I can only use a 5" woofer so, my choices are as follows:
scanspeak 15W/8530K-00
AT Skaaning Flexunit 4
Seas excel W15CY 001

As far as a crossover network @#$%&*!
I have been told everyting from go active (lc audio or marchand) to
good divers, great parts, a little patience and a simple 6db passive will rule... to
the DEQX is the only way to go...

Am I Crazy?... probably... but should this be a fun project...? YES

I understand that every little thing effects every other little thing... but I need to get in the ballpark...

Please help me out... I am a newbie with a personal need to make these boxes sing...

Thanks, GCM

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I did a quick glance at the ScanSpeak and Seas woofer, and just by the numbers, I can tell they would work well in a 10 liter enclosure, vented.

The 2905 tweeter is available everywhere, of course.

I did not find the Skaaning, unless it is listed under another label besides Flexunit.

The crossover is going to be the DIY problem, but there is a way around it. DON'T DIY it.

Either:

Search the web for the combo of drivers you want to use, and use the crossover. Whatever enclosure the project uses will be immaterial. Up around 1,5000 Hz or higher, where you are going to cross over, there is no difference-the crossover will work in just about any cabinet-sealed, ported, transmission line. No difference.

Or

Both ScanSpeak woofer and the Seas woofer, as well as the ScanSpeak tweeter, are available at Madisound. If you are buying the woofer and/or tweeter from them, their tech help will do the crossover for you. I believe they have an excellent program to do this with.

Madisound does a lot of extra things, like they measure batches of speakers themselves to make sure they stick to specs.

www.madisound.com

I didn't run the numbers on this, but the thickness of the boxes is enough to make a difference so I'll ask (only since you call yourself a newbie do I ask! ). You did make your volume measurement on the inside dimensions, less bracing and probable driver displacement, didn't you?

Joined 2001
Stocker:

A good question. However, I think he probably did because the cabinet dimensions that he gave in post #1, (12" X 8" X 12") come to 1152 cu inches, which is 0.666 cu ft, which is 18.9 liters, (28.3 liter per cu ft).

So I think he did take the internal volume and deduct for those things.

Joined 2001
navin said:

He wants to use the 2905/9700 tweeter. I don't know if he has obtained it yet.

The A4 monitor uses the 8530 woofer, as he wants, but it also uses the 2904 tweeter. The difference between the 2904 tweeter the A4 uses and the 2905 tweeter he plans on using is that the 2904 is 4 ohms, the 2905 is 8 ohms. So he cannot use the A4 monitor crossover for the 2905.

Of course, the price of the 2904/9800 and the 2905/9700 is very similar, so if he has not obtained the tweeter yet, he might wish to just buy the 2904 tweeter instead and use the A4's crossover.

If he plans to modify the box, he should remember to keep the center-to-center spacing between the woofer and the tweeter exactly the same. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.