Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2004, 02:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Chipco,

That was just round 1 before trying to make it smaller. I've gotten it down to under 18" from the front of the baffle on the right side in the drawing to the wall, so under 18" deep and the left front corner of the baffle is only 10". Still 33-150hz response. This small one may work out really well because the horn length is right at 90" which just happens to be the wavelength of 150hz, so it looks like the phase of the horn output and the front driver output will be right on at the acoustical crossover point.

It's looking like 3 sheets of plywood will be enough for a pair and I can probably get away with 1/2" due to the much shorter distances and extensive dividers/braces. I need to draw it out and just go ahead and build one.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 15th November 2004, 04:45 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

JohninCR,

That is a clever approach! I will follow this with interest, because IMO things that are clever are INTERESTING! Congratulations on the 'rush of sh*t to the brain'.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 15th November 2004, 05:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

John, your idea looks good enough to steal.
Old 15th November 2004, 05:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

PE have some Vifa drivers on a JBL buyout going cheap right now. They are 4.5" midbass drivers with 3.5mm xmax and an fs of 65 Hz. At $4 each, they are still cheap and let you get down deeper.
Old 15th November 2004, 07:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Let's not jump the gun we're still talking about high Fs and Qts drivers in about a 30hz horn. It might not sound good. Construction is pretty simple, so I'll have to give it a try. I also tried some fairly wide variations of T/S parameters since I don't have NSB's just something similar, and the response changed very little. I think I won't even bother measuring mine.

I tried modeling 8 drivers for a test run, but it would need a whole redesign.

Previous post edit...the 10" from left corner is to the wall, so this thing really hugs the corner and the baffle is going to need to be on an angle. Also in drawing the folds to scale it looks like a 20-22" depth of the right side will be required, but we're still talking about less than 2'x2' needed in the corner.

Paul thanks for the info on those drivers, but they won't work as well. I couldn't get them to go lower than 30hz without a tremendously longer horn. The short horn gave way too narrow a bandwidth and less extension. Plus they'd need a real xover that I want to stay away from.

Hide this!Advertise here!