Speaker ignoramous thinks about ovals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Forgive my ignorance of things technical. I blame society for making me a political science major. My old EPI 202 cabinets are falling apart, so I'm considering building new cabinets for the speakers. Specifically, I'd like to build an oval cabinet. If you're not familair with the 202s, they are a 90-degree box, with an eight-inch woofer and tweeter pair on two adjacent sides. To get the right volume, the oval would be about 24 inches by 10 inches. The woofer/tweeter pairs would be offset on the front, angled away from each other.

Does this sound doable from a technical (not woodworking) standpoint ?

Yes. Quite often Home Theater rear or side channels are arrayed this way for wider dispersion, but it can create a null in the center if the angle is too widespread.

If you make four individual oval or spherical modules, one for each woofer/tweeter pair, with flat bottoms and tops you would be able to stack and rotate to any angle, or invert the top unit for a MTTM, even point it straight backward for a dipole (reverse wiring polarity, too).

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.